Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've learnt a new words today "crude".

I've made up a situation, but I'm not sure whether I use this word correctly. I mean, does it sound natural?

It's my first game today, guys. So, I'm crude now.

I mean: because it's a first game today, I won't be good, because I'm not ready to play well.

Last edited:
In my experience, people who are "crude" show a combination of vulgarity and bad manners.

Saying "I have to take a dump now" instead of "Excuse me for a moment" when you must use the toilet is an example of a person being crude.

This is different than "a crude drawing" or "they used crude tools" or "they made a crude attempt to..."

He might say "I'm a little rusty".

How about "clumsy"?

For me, "clumsy" does not fit the context.

The Longman Dictionary says "crude" means "not developed to a high standard, or made with little skill".
That's why Barb gave her "crude drawing" , "crude tools" and "crude attempt to" examples.

It's my first game today, guys. So, I'm crude now.
Even if this usage of crude were correct, you wouldn't say "I'm crude now". That would tend to imply that at some stage, you weren't crude. You'd need "I'm still crude." Consider oil. Once crude oil is refined, it can't become crude again.
You mean you're inexperienced. You'd need to use "still inexperienced", not "inexperienced now".

On my first attempt at anything, I like to set the bar low with "Remember it's my first time today so I'll be rubbish!"

Note that "rubbish" here is not the same as "garbage" or "trash". In BrE, it can mean "not good" or "bad".

I'm out of practice.

I'm out of practice.
Yes, if that's the discussion now. But the original question was about never having been in practice, since it was the first time he's ever played, as I read it.
I'm interpreting "It's my first game today" as "Today is the first time I've played". Perhaps that's wrong, and the meaning is supposed to be "This is my first game of the day." In that case, 'rusty' etc. might work.

I was wondering if it was the first time he/she had ever played the sport or the first time they had taken part in an official match. For me, "out of practice" means that you used to play regularly, were probably quite good but have not played for some time.

At first, I thought Mike's suggestion of rusty looked odd, but I re-read the post and it does say because I'm not ready to play well, so I assumed it was the first match of the day rather than the first time ever.

Yep, you're right.
I mean that it's my first match today. ;-)

Many amateurs don't practise/train at all. Why should they. They play for fun.

Yep, you're right.

That was one meaning I did not consider. In my opinion, it would require the addition of the word "today" for that meaning to be clear.

Boris, you appear to have added the word 'today' to your original post. This changes the meaning, and makes some of the responses seem strange. Please do not change a post after people have responded to it.

He should have practised recently in preparation for the matches, how can he be rusty or out of practice?

It doesn't matter what he should have done if he hasn't done it.

I don't wish to prolong this thread, but I have to point out, Boris, that this sentence doesn't disambiguate your meaning. This could still mean either of the two options I suggested in #11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back