"In 1980, Youngsville was divided into four quadrants by River Alanah, which ran east-west and had a bridge over it, and a north-south road with..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
These sentences are from my essay.

"In 1980, Youngsville was divided into four quadrants by River Alanah, which ran east-west and had a bridge over it, and a north-south road with many branches."

"Woodland dominated the southwestern section, but this area also had an airport with a parking space in the southwest corner and a school and houses along the river."

1) Is it grammatical to say a road has/had a bridge over it?

2) Is my use of multiple "ands" acceptable? I grouped the items before naming them, so I ended up using two ands to list three items.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221103-220452_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221103-220452_Chrome.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 1

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
These sentences are from my essay.

"In 1980, Youngsville was divided into four quadrants by River Alanah, which ran east-west and had a bridge over it, and a north-south road with many branches."

"Woodland dominated the southwestern section, but this area also had an airport with a parking space in the southwest corner and a school and houses along the river."

1) Is it grammatical to say a road has/had a bridge over it?

2) Is my use of multiple "ands" acceptable? I grouped the items before naming them, so I ended up using two ands to list three items.
1. Yes
2. Yes, but you could use other words like "in addition to/besides" to avoid repetition of the same word.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"In 1980, Youngsville was divided into four quadrants by River Alanah,
1- The "was" in that sentence can imply that after 1980, the layout changed significantly. Consider phrasing that part in some other way.
2- Use something like "sections", "parts", or "areas", because "quadrants" is a technical/geometric term.
3- "River Alanah" is not natural. Whoever made up that exercise is not a native/proficient speaker of English. You need something like "the Alanah River" instead.
You can use "as well as" instead of the last "and".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I find it a bit strange to say a river ran east and west. It's extremely unlikely that the river has changed its course.

I suggest that you use present tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.