Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sitting on the side of the highway waiting to catch speeding drivers, a police officer saw a car driving along at 22 miles per hour.

He thought to himself, “This driver is just as dangerous as a speeder!’’ So he turned on his lights and pulled the driver over.

Getting closer to the car, he noticed that there were six old ladies, two in the front seat and three in the back, wide eyed and pale faced.

The driver, who knew nothing about what happened, said to him, “Officer, I don’t understand. I was doing exactly the speed limit! What seems to be the problem?’’

“Ma’am,” the officer replied, “you weren’t speeding, but you should know that driving slower than the speed limit can also be a danger to other drivers. The same as a speeder.”

“No, sir. I was doing the speed limit — exactly twenty-two miles an hour!’’The old woman said in a ( ) voice. The officer, almost unable to control his chuckle, explained to her that “22” was the route number, not the speed limit.

A bit embarrassed, the woman smiled widely and thanked the officer for pointing out her misunderstanding.

“But before I let you go, ma’am, I have to ask... Is everyone in this car OK? These women seem to be shaking badly and they haven’t made a single sound this whole time,” the officer asked.

“Oh, they’ll be all right in a minute. We just got off Route 119.”

A. sad B. sweet C. proud D. weak

(From the English test paper, Senior High School Entrance Examinations 2019, Henan province, China)

The answer key is option C. But I think options B and D are also possible. What do you say?

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The answer is clearly C. I'm not sure what you mean by saying that B and D are 'possible'. The point is to put the answer that fits best.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks, Jutfrank.

This is what I mean.

If she speaks in a sweet voice, that shows she wants to please the officer. This situation is quite common.

If she speaks in a weak voice, that shows she’s frightened when she sees the officer. And this situation is also quite common.

Do you agree with me?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, of course I agree.

In this kind of test, the testwriter wants to see that you can comprehend the whole context. The question tests whether you can understand that the woman is proud to be driving at that speed. That's why the answer is C.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't use "proud" there. That would indicate to me that the driver is bragging about going 22 mph. However, "sweet" works fine for me.

(They have a problem with the math. Two and three do not equal six.)

Status
Not open for further replies.