Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
He bought the tickets, but he didn't watch the film.
In spite of buying the tickets, he didn't watch the film.

Could I also say "In spite of not watching the film, he bought the tickets", without a change in meaning? It sounds awkward to me.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Your sentences with "In spite of" are incorrect. You could use "despite" in sentence #2. The third sentence is not possible.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I thought "in spite of" and "despite" were synonyms....

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
No, they aren't.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
So how can I finish this sentence, and make it grammatically right and meaningful: "In spite of buying the tickets, ________________________"? I thought "in spite of" suggested contrast.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
You can't. As I said before, use "despite buying". Where did you find that sentence?

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I just happened to come up with it. But I can't figure out the difference between "in spite of" and "despite", as some books say they're synonyms. So, I don't know how to use them. To my knoledge, I thought the preposition "in spite of" had the same meaning as the conjunction "although", so I could easily say " Although he bought the tickets, he didn't watch the film". But now I'm not sure....

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
You can certainly use "although" in that sentence. You cannot use "in spite of buying".

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But I can't figure out the difference between "in spite of" and "despite", as some books say they're synonyms.

Strange, my dictionaries and textbooks also say in spite of and dispite and despite of mean the same thing ...

Like you, I thought they were synonyms.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I don't think "despite of" exists, but I still don't know the difference between the other two....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Strange, my dictionaries and textbooks also say in spite of and dispite and despite of mean the same thing ...

Like you, I thought they were synonyms.

Can you name those dictionaries and textbooks for us please, especially the ones which use "dispite" and "despite of"?

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Dispite should have been desipte, of course. My fault.

PC Translator, for example. It is a software that has won several IT awards and costs cca. 330 British Pounds so one would expect it to be a reliable source of information. I do not use it but I use the voluminous virtual dictionary it contains. If you enter in spite of, despite of or despite, the dictionary shows they mean one and the same thing.

http://img41.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=94814_4444_122_518lo.jpg

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dispite should have been desipte, of course. My fault.

PC Translator, for example. It is a software that has won several IT awards and costs cca. 330 British Pounds so one would expect it to be a reliable source of information. I do not use it but I use the voluminous virtual dictionary it contains. If you enter in spite of, despite of or despite, the dictionary shows they mean one and the same thing.

http://img41.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=94814_4444_122_518lo.jpg

If I were you, I wouldn't use this dictionary at all. I highly suggest using such dictionaries as Oxford and Cambridge and so on because they're deemed to be reliable sources of information. For example, on the following web-page you can see the difference between "in spite of" and despite". Moreover you can see how to use these words correctly (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/in-spite-of-and-despite)

Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I've read many dictionaries and grammar books. And I still don't understand why "Although he bought the tickets, he didn't watch the film" and "Despite buying the tickets, he didn't watch the film" are grammatically right, but "In spite of buying the tickets, he didn't watch the film' isn't. The source mentioned above confirms the two prepositions are the same, or basically the same, if you prefer.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.