Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Me and a couple of people were talking about stress. All of us were non-native speakers from different countries. One of us said that to handle stress he writes down everything that happened to him and sometimes he gets more stressed doing that. I said the following sarcastically.

"When you're in stressed, you again put yourself in so much stress that you forget you were in stress in the first place!"

Later I looked up 'in stress' but couldn't find a single sentence that uses 'in' before stress. Should the sentence be-
"When you're stressed, you again stress yourself so much that you forget you were stressed in the first place!"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I realize that there are native speakers who do that, but I think it would be better if you didn't copy them. Perhaps: "I was talking to a couple of people about stress."

You could in a sense forget to be stressed in the sense that you do something that's relaxing and takes your mind off what's causing you stress.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
"When you're stressed, you again stress yourself so much that you forget you were stressed in the first place!"
Do you mean "you forget why you were stressed in the first place"?

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Do you mean "you forget why you were stressed in the first place"?
Yes. Need to check more than once before posting from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.