In this article you will find the figures the figures of Italian exports and imports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grablevskij

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In this article you will find the figures the figures of Italian exports and imports for the past three months.

From a textbook. Please, have a look at the attachment, if you like (it is a key to exercises). But please, don't ask me where it is from. It's a Russian one.

I can't understand why 'will' is used here. It is not a prediction or something.
And I don't like 'the figures'.

My variant

In this article you can find some fugures of Italian exports and imports for the past three months.

Could you tell me whether the text in bold Ok or not?
If it is ok, why 'will' and 'the' are used?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-03-15 21-28-27.png
    Screenshot from 2021-03-15 21-28-27.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 4

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In this article you will find the figures the figures of Italian exports and imports for the past three months.

From a textbook. Please provide the title and author.

Please no comma here have a look at the attachment, if you like (it is a key to the exercises).

But please no comma here don't ask me where it is from. It's a Russian one. Too late. I've already asked you for the title and author. It's obligatory.

I can't understand why 'will' is used here. It is not a prediction or something.
And I don't like 'the figures'.

My variant

In this article you can find some fugures of Italian exports and imports for the past three months.

Could you tell me whether the text in bold is [STRIKE]Ok[/STRIKE] OK or not?
If it is [STRIKE]ok[/STRIKE] OK, why are 'will' and 'the' [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] used?

Please note my comments and corrections above. The words in blue are typos or errors of some kind. My comments are in red (actions you need to take) and grey (grammar or punctuation advice).

Once you've provided the source and author, we'll reply to your actual question.

Grablevskij

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The title in my personal translation is: Practical English Grammar. Authors Mrs. Kachalova and Mr. Israilevich. But why do you ask me. This is an old Russian textbook. As old as the hills.

First of all, nobody is interested in it for sure. Secondly, I've read Posting Guidelines, there is no rule about titles and authors of textbooks. If it is obligatory, why not stating it in the guidelines?

We are not discussing textbooks from different corners of the world, I believe. What if it were in Chinese? Anyway, a strange situation.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Every time you quote someone else's words, you must credit them by giving us the original writer and the source. We have very strict copyright laws in the UK, where the forum is based. It doesn't matter what language any book/article/newspaper etc was written in. We still demand the source. So now you know!

This is clearly stated in the Forum Rules. See point 6 HERE. Your profile shows that you accepted the forum rules on 12 Sept 2019 at 19:59.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I gave it in my previous post.

I know you did, but you also asked why we needed it, so I explained. As you accepted the forum rules when you joined, you should have already known that we require the source before you wrote your post.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But why do you ask me.

What is missing there?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
In this article you will find the figures of Italian exports and imports for the past three months.

Will is used to indicate the part of the article you will be coming to as you are reading the text.
A set of figures or numbers will be presented, specifically for exports and imports for the past three months, so the is appropriate.
It is normal for facts presented in an article to be supported by numbers/data/figures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
First of all, nobody is interested in it for sure..

Forums have been held accountable for copyright material published on them, so we have to show that we have actively fought against copyright abuse. Also, our site is hosted on UK servers, which means that UK strict interpretations of copyright law apply.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In this article, you will find the figures for Italian exports and imports ...

You've asked two questions:

1) The red part tells the reader the expected content of the text. We use will to do this, at or near the beginning of the text in question.

2) The article the makes specific reference to the noun (figures of Italian exports and imports) that follows it. You can understand that definite articles are linguistic ways of pointing to what we want to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.