Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi all,

I sent to my prospective employer to negotiate the received job offer. They replied in a strict way that they can't increase my offer and that they are awaiting for my final feedback tomorrow. I would like to send them the following to wonder why they at least didn't open a room for negotiation.

I appreciate your support in editing the following:

"I respect it that you can't increase my offer however I would be pleased to know why you can't increase the offer and at least why you didn't open a room for negotiation until we reach a mutual satisfactory resolution for both of us."

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you don't end up with this job, which will not surprise me, I suggest that you send both sides of any correspondence that comes up with future job applications.

Unless we know what you are responding to, it is very difficult to know whether the emails you send us to check are appropriate or not.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Out of curiosity, Economist2010, have you ever gone through a perfectly standard job application and just taken the job, salary and conditions you were originally offered?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Economist2010, note that in common business parlance my offer means an offer made by me, not to me. You should say the offer to me rather than my offer.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Out of curiosity, Economist2010, have you ever gone through a perfectly standard job application and just taken the job, salary and conditions you were originally offered?

Yes, it happened many time. Sometime, I was able to negotiate with the employer to get even higher salary and benefits than the ones they originally shared.

Out of curiosity, is there any correlation between your question and my thread?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it happened many time. Sometime, I was able to negotiate with the employer to get even higher salary and benefits than the ones they originally shared.

It wasn't connected to this specific thread but to all the threads you've posted on the forum. I just wondered if this perpetual negotiation was a common factor in your employment up to now.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it has happened many times. Sometimes I have been able to negotiate with the employer to get a higher salary and benefits than the ones they originally offered.

You still need to work on your word choice.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

XXX sent me a job offer. I sent them an email to negotiate terms and conditions.

I don't know what you mean by "in a strict way" there.

They can't increase your offer. It's your offer.

I don't know what you mean by "final feedback".

You used " wonder" for no reason.

(,Say: "I would appreciate ....")

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi all,

I wrote to my prospective employer to negotiate the [STRIKE]received[/STRIKE] job offer. They replied in a stern way that they can't increase their offer and that they are awaiting for my final answer tomorrow. I would like to send them the following to ask why they at least didn't open a room for negotiation.

I appreciate your support in editing the following:

"I respect [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] that you can't increase your offer. However, I would like to know why [STRIKE][STRIKE]you can't increase the offer[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] and [STRIKE]at least[/STRIKE] why you can't negotiate further [STRIKE]didn't open a room for negotiation until we reach a mutual satisfactory resolution for both of us.[/STRIKE]"
Eco, this would be very foolish to send. They have given you an offer. They have clearly answered your request for more: They said no. The door is closed to further discussion.

Sending this will kill your chance of getting the job. Either accept their offer or turn it down. Do not quibble. Reply before their deadline:

- If you want the job they are offering now, say yes.

- If you don't, say no.​

They have made their decision. There are no magic words that will change it.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you don't end up with this job . . . I suggest that you send both sides of any correspondence that comes up with future job applications.

Unless we know what you are responding to, it is very difficult to know whether the emails you send us to check are appropriate or not.
Yes, I've often wished for that. Eco, if you show us what they say, we can help more with what you should say.

This is an excellent suggestion, 5jj.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey, Eco!

What did you decide? What happened? Did you take the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.