Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The beggar whom we had suspected to be guilty turned out to be innocent. / The beggar whom we had suspected guilty turned out innocent. What is the difference in meaning?

The beggar whom we had suspected to be guilty turned out to be innocent. / The beggar whom we had suspected guilty turned out innocent. What is the difference in meaning?

NOT A TEACHER

(1) For easier analysis, may I simplify your sentence? Let's delete (erase) the adjective (relative) clause. So we have two sentences:

(a) The beggar turned out to be innocent.

(b) The beggar turned out innocent.

(2) I found an interesting article on the Web taken from the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary:

(a) The job turned out to be harder than we thought. "Turn out to be" = to prove to be.

(b) If the day turns out wet, we may have to change our plans. = "Turn out" = to develop or end in a particular way.

(3) Therefore, it is only my opinion that it might be better to say:

The beggar whom we had suspected to be guilty turned out to be innocent.

EDIT: Many thanks to the moderator for pointing out my mistake.

Last edited:
NOT A TEACHER

(1) For easier analysis, may I simplify your sentence? Let's delete (erase) the adjective (relative) clause. So we have two sentences:

(a) The beggar turned out to be innocent.

(b) The beggar turned out innocent.

(2) I found an interesting article on the Web taken from the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary:

(a) The job turned out to be harder than we thought. "Turn out to be" = to prove to be.

(b) If the day turns out wet, we may have to change our plans. = "Turn out" = to develop or end in a particular way.

(3) Therefore, it is only my opinion that it might be better to say:

The beggar whom we had suspected to be guilty turned out to be guilty.
Not if he was innocent.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back