Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I have written this essay for practice for my CAE qualification. I would appreciate some feedback to improve it.
”Your class has been following a series of radio programmes about choices young people have to make and different things that influence them in these choices. You have made the notes below:
-Family and friends
-Money
-Society
Discuss two of them and explain which influence is the most powerful.

INFLUENCES ON YOUNG PEOPLE’S CHOICES

In this day and age, it is common knowledge young people are influenced in several choices they have to make as they start being independent. This essay contemplates what has most bearing on their decisions.

First and foremost, a quintessential example of a complicated choice is one related to careers, university and studies. Families undoubtedly play a paramount role here. Unfortunately, numerous students feel apprehension towards their future. Their decision often affected by what their parents think, whether it is because they do not approve of what they aim to become or due to a matter of family businesses. For instance, parents might not like the idea of their children working on a poorly paid job, or even persuade them to enter the workforce of the business they own.

Modern society tops the list. Adolescents are the ones most influenced by it, in all likelihood because constant use of social media. Young people need to follow an excessive amount of rules so they ensure they fit in. Thus, famous singers or “influencers” are copied and their behaviour rubs off on them, especially in the clothes they wear. I wonder how they would look like if they knew nobody would judge them.

To finish with, I genuinely consider the latter the most influential one. Modern society dictates how young people act, where they hang out, and even how they speak. This results in them doing the exact same things, fearing a faceless crowd that may catalogue their way of behaving as “strange” or “unusual”. Albeit difficult, overcoming this concern would free young people. Little do they know how happier they would be!

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have written this essay for practice for my CAE qualification. I would appreciate some feedback to improve it.
”Your class has been following a series of radio programmes about choices young people have to make and different things that influence them in these choices. You have made the notes below:
-Family and friends
-Money
-Society
Discuss two of them and explain which influence is the most powerful.

INFLUENCES ON (FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE) YOUNG PEOPLE’S CHOICES (DECISIONS?)

In this day and age, it is common knowledge young people are influenced by various factors in making[STRIKE] several[/STRIKE] choices [STRIKE]they have to make[/STRIKE] as they start[STRIKE] being [/STRIKE] to become independent. This essay [STRIKE]contemplates[/STRIKE] discusses what has most bearing on the factors that have the most influence on their decisions.

First and foremost, a quintessential example of a complicated choice is one related to career[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE], university and studies. Young people's families undoubtedly play a paramount role here. Unfortunately, numerous students feel [STRIKE]apprehension towards[/STRIKE] apprehensive about their future. Their decision is often affected by what their parents think, whether it is because they do not approve of what they aim to become or [STRIKE]due to a matter of [/STRIKE] related to family businesses. For instance, parents might not like the idea of their children working on a poorly-paid job, or even persuade them to [STRIKE]enter the workforce of [/STRIKE] join the family business[STRIKE] they own[/STRIKE].

[STRIKE]Modern society[/STRIKE] Society norms and expectations top[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] the list. Adolescents are likely the ones most influenced by[STRIKE] it [/STRIKE] them [STRIKE]in all likelihood[/STRIKE] because of the constant [STRIKE]use of [/STRIKE] exposure to the social media. Young people need to follow [STRIKE]an excessive amount of[/STRIKE] many rules [STRIKE]so they ensure they fit in[/STRIKE] to conform. Thus, famous singers [STRIKE]or “influencers” are copied and their behaviour rubs off [/STRIKE] are a powerful influence on them, especially in the clothes they wear. I wonder how [STRIKE]they would look like[/STRIKE] they would be/behave if they knew nobody would judge them.

To [STRIKE]finish with[/STRIKE] conclude, I genuinely consider the latter [STRIKE]the most influential one[/STRIKE] as being a greater influence. Modern society dictates (This is too strong a phrase; society does not dictate anything. There is freedom for young people to choose. What about greatly influences?) how young people behave - how young people act, where they hang out, and even how they speak. This [STRIKE]results in them doing the exact same things[/STRIKE] causes them to mimic the former, fearing a faceless crowd that may catalogue their way of behaving as “strange” or “unusual”. Albeit difficult, overcoming this concern would free young people. Little do they know how happier they would be! (the underlined part needs to be rewritten)

You have listed three factors. State the two you have chosen for the discussion.
The last part is not well-expressed.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Whenever I see "the former" or "the latter" I always have to reread what I just read to figure out what is being referred to. This time I have more trouble than usual with that.

We all are influenced by the society we grow up in. That's unremarkable.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd use it is common knowledge that.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
INFLUENCES ON YOUNG PEOPLE’S CHOICES

In this day and age, it is common knowledge young people are influenced in several choices they have to make as they start being independent. This essay contemplates what has most bearing on their decisions.

First and foremost, a quintessential example of a complicated choice is one related to careers, university and studies. Families undoubtedly play a paramount role here. Unfortunately, numerous students feel apprehension towards their future. Their decision often affected by what their parents think, whether it is because they do not approve of what they aim to become or due to a matter of family businesses. For instance, parents might not like the idea of their children working on a poorly paid job, or even persuade them to enter the workforce of the business they own.

Modern society tops the list. Adolescents are the ones most influenced by it, in all likelihood because constant use of social media. Young people need to follow an excessive amount of rules so they ensure they fit in. Thus, famous singers or “influencers” are copied and their behaviour rubs off on them, especially in the clothes they wear. I wonder how they would look like if they knew nobody would judge them.

To finish with, I genuinely consider the latter the most influential one. Modern society dictates how young people act, where they hang out, and even how they speak. This results in them doing the exact same things, fearing a faceless crowd that may catalogue their way of behaving as “strange” or “unusual”. Albeit difficult, overcoming this concern would free young people. Little do they know how happier they would be!

The words in red are used inaccurately.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
contemplates - discusses