Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Here is my first question. If we are to put words (used for wrongdoings, offenses and crimes) in such an order that signifies their level of seriousness, like from less serious to more serious nature. How would their order of seriousness be?

Below is an example to understand my question.

1. Infraction (less serious than a misdemeanor)
2. Misdemeanour (less serious than a felony)
3. Felony (Is it less serious in nature than an offense or a crime?)

The reason I arranged the words in this order is because that's what I saw after I googled them.

-------------------

Infraction
The definition of an infraction is a violation of the law that is less serious than a misdemeanor, or is a violation of rules you are supposed to follow. An example of an infraction is when you are speeding and given a traffic ticket.

Misdemeanour

1. a minor wrongdoing.
"the player can expect a suspension for his latest misdemeanour"

2. a non-indictable offense, regarded in the US (and formerly in the UK) as less serious than a felony.
"he pleaded guilty to misdemeanours"

Felony
a crime regarded in the US and many other judicial systems as more serious than a misdemeanour.
"he pleaded guilty to six felonies"

--------------------

Secondly, since we use phrases like "delinquent child", how about "delinquency"? Is it less serious than an infraction?

Thirdly, where does the word "peccadillo" stand in the list? Is it equal to a "misdemeanour" or more or less serious than "misdemeanour"?

I would really appreciate if you come up with more words with the order of their seriousness.

Regards,
Aamir the Global Citizen

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A peccadillo is very minor, almost insignificant. But one can't really order your whole list because both misdemeanour and felony can be used to modify both offence and crime.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
They also can't be ordered because there's no objective standard of 'seriousness'. For example, by 'infraction', do you mean a serious infraction or a minor infraction?
Some of those words have a legal definition and some don't.
Some such words can cover a wide range of seriousness, eg. misbehaviour, sin, naughtiness, badness (all words to add to your list).
Some of your words describe a specific act, but others, eg. delinquency, describe a condition or state. You can't commit a delinquency.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A peccadillo is a social misbehavior, not a legal one.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
First of all, thanks a lot for such a detailed and descriptive answer.

I just learned a new term "Jay-walking". I have never heard of it before. Does that mean, being inattentive to the traffic while crossing the road thus putting your own life at risk as you can get hit.

Can you give a few examples of torts, at least three examples?

You said sexual assault falls under the category of felony. What about sexual harassment?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jay-walking is crossing a street illegally. That could be in a location where it's not allowed or against a traffic light or crosswalk light.

Sexual harassment is neither a misdemeanor nor a felony. It's inappropriate behavior of a sexual nature, such as touching or making unwanted advances. In the United States it can lead to disciplinary actions at a workplace up to and including termination of employment. It can also lead to lawsuits.

Tort is a legal term used in common-law countries. Many people outside the legal profession may understand it vaguely but wouldn't use it. You don't need to know it if you aren't studying or involved in the law.

Last edited:

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
'

A 'tort' is a civil action for damages (not criminal), usually evolving from an act of negligence, e.g., my postman trips over my garden hose and breaks his leg. He sues me in a tort action. Another example: I stop my car, forget to put the transmission in 'park' and neglect to set the parking brake. I get out and the car rolls down hill and hits another car. The owner sues me in a tort action for damages.

How about a situation in which you leave your pet dog (could be a German Shepherd) unleashed in your lawn and somebody walks in your house and gets bitten. Will that also be considered an act of negligence and would fall under the category of tort?

Last edited:

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Sexual harassment is neither a misdemeanor nor a felony. It's inappropriate behavior of a sexual nature, such as touching or making unwanted advances. In the United States it can lead to disciplinary actions at a workplace up to and including termination of employment. It can also lead to lawsuits.

Ok, sexual assault is a felony since the attacker has the intent to victimize the person being assaulted.
Whereas sexual harassment is neither a misdemeanor nor a felony but an inappropriate behavior of a sexual nature as you said, right.

1. What about sexual molestation? Is it different from an assault? Is it something where the victim is actually being victimized with or without his or her knowledge. Because in some cases victim can be underage and so innocent that he or she doesn't even realize that he or she is being taken advantage of by the molester.

2. Is sexual molestation a felony?

Status
Not open for further replies.