Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

This is not from a textbook. Can I say "innocent truth" and isn't it better to use "our" before "lifetime" instead of the article.
"He was not faithful. It was not innocent truth he was going to share. He wanted to confess at the death bed and tell his wife about his affair. Such confessions should be made during the lifetime, I think."

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

This is not from a textbook. Can I say "innocent truth" and isn't it better to use "our" before "lifetime" instead of the article.
"He was not faithful. It was not innocent truth he was going to share. He wanted to confess [STRIKE]at the[/STRIKE] on his death bed and tell his wife about his affair. Such confessions should be made during the (I would prefer "a", as a general reference) lifetime, I think."

My shot.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
No, "innocent truth" doesn't work, and I'm not sure what you mean by it. Try to think of another expression.
Also, say "during one's lifetime" instead of "during the/a lifetime".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No, "innocent truth" doesn't work, and I'm not sure what you mean by it. Try to think of another expression.
Also, say "during one's lifetime" instead of "during the/a lifetime".

"Innocent lie" for example, but I don't think it's correct. Maybe "a white lie." I mean something unimportant.We can be "at someone else's dearh bed" but when a person is talking about themselves it should be "on his deathbed". Right? I found "Forgive your spouse at his death-bed."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I meant "innocent lie", for example, but I don't think it's correct. Maybe "a white lie." I mean something unimportant.
Try, for example:
"It was no trivial matter he was going to share".

We can be "at someone else's death bed" but when a person is talking about themselves it should be "on his deathbed", right?
I found "Forgive your spouse at his death-bed."
https://books.google.com/ngrams/gra...,on his deathbed;,c0;.t1;,at his deathbed;,c0

To me, "on his deathbed" refers to the occasion of a person's last moments of life, whereas (the less common) "at his deathbed" is more about being at/beside the actual bed.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I understand now. Thank you. If I was going to say, "He was going to share something important" or "Deathbed confessions are important." Can I use the word "valuable" instead of "important" and say "Deathbed confessions are valuable" or "Deathbed confessions are not valuable."

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.