Is “even when” a subordinating conjunction similar to “even though”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

please55

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Even when he is sick, she works."

The first half is the dependent clause. Is it introduced by "even when"? Or is "even" an adverb qualifying "works"?

Typically you can move around adverb clauses. If so, which is the correct rewrite of the above to keep same meaning? (Subtle shift between each.)

She works even when he is sick.
She even works when he is sick.

Depending on the above answers, is this grammatically sound? "When he is sick, she even works."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Before we consider answering your question, please correct the information in your profile. Your native language might well be English but your home country and current location are clearly incorrect.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Even when he is sick, she works."

The first half is the dependent clause. Is it introduced by "even when"? Or is "even" an adverb qualifying "works"?

I'll leave that question to our resident grammarians.

Typically you can move around adverb clauses. If so, which is the correct rewrite of the above to keep same meaning? (Subtle shift between each.)

She works even when he is sick.
She even works when he is sick.

Both are grammatical and mean the same thing.

Depending on the above answers, is this grammatically sound? "When he is sick, she even works."

No. It doesn't make sense.

I hope that helps a little.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, please55, it's clearly your lucky day. Charlie elected to answer your question despite your failure to correct your member profile as requested in post #2.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I did. It was a cross post. We were typing at the same time, so I didn't know you had answered when I hit "Save." And I didn't look at the member info, so I didn't notice Please55 is claiming to be a native English speaker.

And no, I've never heard of Aaland!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"She works even when she is sick" makes sense, but as for the other one ("She works even he is sick"), not so much.

As for Aaland, it's not anybody's country of origin, because it's not a country.

Last edited by a moderator:

please55

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, please55, it's clearly your lucky day. Charlie elected to answer your question despite your failure to correct your member profile as requested in post #2.

That observation is quickly resolved if you consider I'm not constantly at my computer.

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I'm still unclear as to how to diagram the sentence depending on which structure is the right one. Should I have posted in that sub-forum (Diagramming) instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.