[Grammar] Is it correct to end the object pronoun WHOM with a proposition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Dear teachers and members:

Some grammarians advise not to end a sentence with a preposition; I am still not quite sure about it. But the more I learn and get into grammar, the less I take this rule for granted; I consider it a myth.

Even though I know a sentence can be ended or always be accompanied with a preposition when in some cases the subject pronoun WHO is used in place of WHOM. I am confused about ending a sentence with a preposition when using the object pronoun WHOM. It seems to me that in the case of WHOM it is ungrammatical to end a sentence with a preposition, but I have seen it used with a preposition frecuently. For example:

a:

1) I need someone to whom I can speak.

2) I need someone who I can speak to.

3) I need someone whom I can speak to.

b:

4) This is the man with whom I work.

5) This is the man who I work with.

6) This is the man whom I work with.

OBSERVANCE:

I have never seen a question end with a preposition when WHOM is used.

c:

7) To whom do you support?

8) Who do you support to?

9) Whom do you support to?

QUESTION:

Which of these sentences is/are not correct or which of them can be interchanged each other?

Your help or assistance will be deeply appreciate it

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, let me start here. The rule against ending a sentence with a preposition is long dead and has been buried. You do not have to worry about it.
That said, the rule that says you shouldn't end a sentence with an unnecessary preposition is still in force.

For example:

Where is my scarf at?

That is still incorrect.

When it comes to who/whom there is a difference between AmE and BrE. The Brits are moving away from whom more quickly than the Yanks are. But the use of whom is falling on both sides of the pond.

a. 1 and 3 are grammatically correct. The first is a bit stilted. The second is common. The third is correct in formal English.

b. 4 and 6 are grammatically correct. The first is a bit stilted. The second is common. The third is correct in formal English.

C. All are incorrect. If you want a correct "whom" sentence that ends with a preposition, try "Whom do you report to?". "Who do you report to" would very common.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thanks MikeNewYork.

I really like your explanation; it's pretty convincing.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.