[General] Is "Journey to the center of the Earth" good book for beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pand9

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,
I'm still beginner in English and I'm looking for book that I could enjoy to read (and listen an audiobook). I'm thinking about travelogue, so some book of Mark Twain would be good, but I don't know if a book from 1864 will be good to learn the contemporary language.

So, my question is - aren't books from XIX century too old to read for beginners? How much is their language archaic?

Greetings and sorry for errors - I still can't voice everything in English as well as I want, even with dictionary's help :p

Hello,
I'm still beginner in English and I'm looking for book that I could enjoy to read (and listen an audiobook). I'm thinking about travelogue, so some book of Mark Twain would be good, but I don't know if a book from 1864 will be good to learn the contemporary language.

So, my question is - aren't books from XIX century too old to read for beginners? How much is their language archaic?

Greetings and sorry for errors - I still can't voice everything in English as well as I want, even with dictionary's help :p

In my opinion, they are too old to help you with contemporary English. By the same token, it's possible to find something too modern which would be equally incomprehensible.

How about "The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-time" or "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry"?

In my opinion, they are too old to help you with contemporary English. By the same token, it's possible to find something too modern which would be equally incomprehensible.

How about "The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-time" or "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry"?

I agree. And in Mark Twain's writings, for example The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, his characters often speak in slang, and Twain spelled the words exactly how his poor, uneducated characters would pronounce them, making it sometimes difficult or slow even for English speakers to get through.

There are some favorites from my childhood that are fun books and you can learn a lot from them without very much difficulty, like How to Eat Fried Worms, and many books by Judy Blume like Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. Just remember, you're still a beginner - start from the beginning. If you don't want to start with very easy children's books, then maybe do a Google search of "young adult novels" to see what's current and popular. Judy Blume is a young adult writer, and her books were very popular when I was growing up in the 80s and early 90s.

Hope this helps!

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back