Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm not sure of how to express the idea that I click a link of a website and open it. Can I say something like "open a link" or "fail to open a link"? Or should I use "launch the link" or "launch the website"? Do they all sound natural?
Looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can click on a link.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You can click on a link.
Thank you for your reply. But “clicking on the link” doesn’t suggest if it works or not, does it? If I want to express the idea of clicking on the link and it doesn’t work, is there an expression for that, something like “fail to open the link”? Does this sound odd?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The link is broken.

chance22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So if someone sends me a link, I click on the link and find it doesn't work, instead of saying "I can't open the link", I should say "the link is broken." No such expression as "open the link"? Am I right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You'll also see things like "That link doesn't work/That link's not working". If you think the problem might be at your end only, you can say "That link's not working for me".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
So if someone sends me a link, I click on the link and find it doesn't work, instead of saying "I can't open the link", I should say "the link is broken." No such expression as "open the link"? Am I right?

No- you're looking for absolutes. You can use open a link. If you right-click on a link, the menu will offer you the choice to open the link in a new tab, etc. However, in conversation, we tend to use the verbs that have been suggested more.

Status
Not open for further replies.