Is there anything wrong with this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManatsuYuuri

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Hi,

I came across a page with misspelled tattoos. One of the tattoos seems totally fine to me and I have been staring at it for quite a while now, but I just don't see what's wrong with it. As I am currently studying English in the hope of becoming a translator, I am disappointed with myself for not knowing if there is anything wrong with this sentence.

The tattoo says the following: "I myself am made entirely of flaws stitched together with good intensions"

I don't see any misspelled words and the only thing I can come up with is the lack of punctuation. Am I missing something here?

Click here to see the actual tattoo.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Check the last word.

ManatsuYuuri

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Check the last word.

Ah now I see it! I can't believe I thought 'intensions' was the correct spelling :oops: Thank you for your reply =)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah now I see it! I can't believe I thought 'intensions' was the correct spelling :oops: Thank you for your reply =)

I hope you didn't have that one "inscribed'.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
While 'intensions' is a perfectly good word in its place (philosophy, logic, some elements of linguistics), I don't think the intention was 'intension'.
There is a significant difference in the two words, which I have forgotten and have no desire to recall at the moment.

Though here is how I described it a year or so ago in a more relevant forum:

How are intentionality and intensionality distinguished and related?

In structural linguistics, there is a concept of {signifier,signified, referent},which corresponds to a word, the idea, and the physical object. Eg. the word “apple” is the signifier, the physical apple is the referent, and the idea of the apple is the signified. The intension is analogous to the signified (the idea, the meaning of the signifier), while the extension is analogous to the referent (physical object, apple). So the intension is significant in that it is the idea that links the word to its object. *
I think intensionality is linked to intentionality in that the intensional aspect of the signifier/signified/referent triplet is the intentional thought, the signified– the mental meaning. The mental idea is intensional in a proposition that is intentional. Intensional objects are non-extensional (they don't have real-life extension).
Intensionality is also a property of the object of propositional attitudes such as “Mary believes that Paris is in France”.The simple statement “Paris is in France”, however, is extensional.
*Intension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To be honest, I'm not sure the tattoo is actually wrong.

ManatsuYuuri

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
I hope you didn't have that one "inscribed'.

No this is not my tattoo ;-)

While 'intensions' is a perfectly good word in its place (philosophy, logic, some elements of linguistics), I don't think the intention was 'intension'.
There is a significant difference in the two words, which I have forgotten and have no desire to recall at the moment.

In structural linguistics, there is a concept of {signifier,signified, referent},which corresponds to a word, the idea, and the physical object. Eg. the word “apple” is the signifier, the physical apple is the referent, and the idea of the apple is the signified. The intension is analogous to the signified (the idea, the meaning of the signifier), while the extension is analogous to the referent (physical object, apple). So the intension is significant in that it is the idea that links the word to its object. *
I think intensionality is linked to intentionality in that the intensional aspect of the signifier/signified/referent triplet is the intentional thought, the signified– the mental meaning. The mental idea is intensional in a proposition that is intentional. Intensional objects are non-extensional (they don't have real-life extension).
Intensionality is also a property of the object of propositional attitudes such as “Mary believes that Paris is in France”.The simple statement “Paris is in France”, however, is extensional.

Okay I had to read this a couple of times and I looked it up in my native language (Dutch), but I think I understand the difference.

This tattoo is still a misspelled one, though. I did a quick search and found out it is a quote:

In the chapter titled "Beating Raoul", page 110 of the book Magical Thinking, Augusten Burroughs writes: "I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."

I'm not entirely sure the tattoo is wrong the way it is, but it was definitely meant to say 'intentions'.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

American Heritage Dictionary defines it as "the state or quality of being intense". That does not appear to fit the quote.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
American Heritage Dictionary defines it as "the state or quality of being intense". That does not appear to fit the quote.
I guess you know that a word can have more than one meaning though, and that not all dictionaries include all meanings?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess you know that a word can have more than one meaning though, and that not all dictionaries include all meanings?

Of course I do, but your meaning seemed highly technical and unusual.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Of course I do, but your meaning seemed highly technical and unusual.
It is highly technical and unusual. Are you implying that there is no possibility that this could have been deliberate on the client's part? The likelihood is very, very low, but possible. I don't think we need to spend more time on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.