Is there somewhere/anywhere I can stay the night?

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Is there somewhere/anywhere I can stay the night?
Is there somewhere/anywhere we can sit?

I hear this type of sentences all the time. A few years ago I was in a hotel in Singapore. I was looking for a trash can and asked the receptionist "Is there somewhere I can throw this away?" I wonder if replacing 'somewhere' with 'anywhere' would make any difference.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They're both possible in all three scenarios. In the first question, I have no preference. In the second, I'd be more likely to use "somewhere". In the example about the trash can, I'd probably use "somewhere".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Is there anywhere I can stay the night? To me that asks merely whether such a place exists.

Is there sonewhere I can stay the night? That could also have the same meaning as the first question but it's probably also asking whether there's a specific place the person would recommend.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Is there anywhere I can stay the night? To me that asks merely whether such a place exists.

Is there sonewhere I can stay the night? That could also have the same meaning as the first question but it's probably also asking whether there's a specific place the person would recommend.
Would you use 'somewhere' for the trash can example for the same reason? (Is there somewhere I can throw this away?)
If so, is it because we know there are trash cans in all hotels?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. I would assume they have one or more trashcans. How could they not?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I was looking for a trash can and asked the receptionist "Is there somewhere I can throw this away?" I wonder if replacing 'somewhere' with 'anywhere' would make any difference.

No, in that you'd get the same answer either way.

But yes, 'somewhere' and 'anywhere' do have different meanings, as you probably know. Using 'somewhere' suggests that you have in mind a designated place.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Ashraful Haque It's interesting that there should be another post in this one. I've been thinking that this is one of those times when "yes" and "no" mean the same thing (probably because of the way the question was phrased).

Will people understand what you mean when you say it? If the answer is "yes" then don't worry about it.

The two things might in theory mean something different, but in practice, no.