Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello everyone,
An unpleasant news may come in from somewhere. I saw this sentence in a book. Here does it need "in" or can we say?
An unpleasant news may come from somewhere.
Thank you.

Hi edmondjanet,
The original sentence has two problems. The first is the "in," which you have correctly identified as not belonging. The other is trying to make "news" countable. It's not. "A news" is not right. Unpleasant news may come from somewhere. It's an odd sentence, though, like something you'd find in a fortune cookie.

What about that preposition IN? Does it make any difference in the meaning? Do these two say the same:

Unsettling news has been coming IN from the Middle East recently.
Unsettling news has been coming from the Middle East recently.

What about that preposition IN? Does it make any difference in the meaning? Do these two say the same:

Unsettling news have been coming IN from the Middle East recently.
Unsettling news have been coming from the Middle East recently.

The "in" is not the problem here, "have" is the problem.

Hi edmondjanet,
The original sentence has two problems. The first is the "in," which you have correctly identified as not belonging. The other is trying to make "news" countable. It's not. "A news" is not right. Unpleasant news may come from somewhere. It's an odd sentence, though, like something you'd find in a fortune cookie.
can't we use "a" here? There is a good news. I have heard so many times this sentence.
Thank you

can't we use "a" here? There is a good news. I have heard so many times this sentence.
Thank you

No, as has already been explained to you "news" is uncountable. Even if you have heard it, it's wrong.

Thank you
No, because "news" is an uncountable noun. You might use "a piece of news" meaning one news.

No, as has already been explained to you "news" is uncountable. Even if you have heard it, it's wrong.
Still I have some doubts about "news" For example
There is good news and bad news.
How much good news and bad news?
I have to say two things as good news and one thing as bad news. So, can I say?
I have two good news and one bad news. How can I say this because "news" is uncountable?
Thank you.

Still I have some doubts about "news" For example
There is good news and bad news.
How much good news and bad news?
I have to say two things as good news and one thing as bad news. So, can I say?
I have two good news and one bad news. How can I say this because "news" is uncountable?
Thank you.

No, you simply cannot count news. You can't have "a new" or "one news" or "two newses."

You can have a bit a news, an item of news, a piece of news, and even some news.

You can mix up the terms you use.
I have two bits of good news to relate to you, but one piece of bad news.
There are two items to relate that I think you'll see as good news, and one bit of bad news.
I've got three items of news for you: one bad, but two good.

No, you simply cannot count news. You can't have "a new" or "one news" or "two newses."

You can have a bit a news, an item of news, a piece of news, and even some news.

You can mix up the terms you use.
I have two bits of good news to relate to you, but one piece of bad news.
There are two items to relate that I think you'll see as good news, and one bit of bad news.
I've got three items of news for you: one bad, but two good.
Can I use, some good news for you?
thank you

No, because "news" is an uncountable noun. You might use "a piece of news" meaning one piece/bit/item of news.
Just as you cannot have 'a news', you cannot have 'one news'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back