Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Last year I met a teacher of a local university; his name is Kevin. Later we became friends and he tried to help me with my offering more job opportunities to me. I appreciate his help and I think the meeting between us are "magical". There's a speech club here and it's held every Tuesday evening. But I seldom attend the club because it's far from where I live. However, I went there once and I met Kevin. Also, when we meet I didn't give him any of my contact details. Later he joined the online group of that speech club and I added him. I wrote "It's fate that let us meet" to conclude this. Is it natural? The intended meaning is "I feel very lucky for having met Kevin".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Last year, I met a teacher [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] from a local university; his name is Kevin.

Later, we became friends and he tried to help me [STRIKE]with my[/STRIKE] by offering [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] me some job opportunities to me.

I appreciate his help and I think [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] our meetings [STRIKE]between us[/STRIKE] are "magical".

There's a [STRIKE]speech[/STRIKE] [public] speaking club here [STRIKE]and it's held[/STRIKE] every Tuesday evening. [STRIKE]But[/STRIKE]

However, I seldom attend the club because it's [STRIKE]far[/STRIKE] a long way from where I live.

[STRIKE]However, I went there once and[/STRIKE] That's where I first met Kevin.

[STRIKE]Also,[/STRIKE] When we [STRIKE]meet[/STRIKE] first met, I didn't give him [STRIKE]any of[/STRIKE] my contact details.

Later, he joined the club's online group [STRIKE]of that speech club[/STRIKE] and I added him.

I wrote "It's fate that [STRIKE]let[/STRIKE] led us to meet" to conclude this. Is it natural? The intended meaning is "I feel very lucky for having met [STRIKE]Kevin[/STRIKE] you".

See above. I have put each sentence on its own line so it's easier for you to read and really study the changes. You've posted three such pieces in the last hour or so and I have made some of the same corrections in all of them. Have a bit more patience. Post one piece, then wait to see what corrections are made. Some of them will help you avoid making the same errors in later posts.

I don't know what you mean by "I added him". You said he joined the group so what exactly did you add him to? This is the second time you've incorrectly used "conclude".

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Post one piece, then wait to see what corrections are made. Some of them will help you avoid making the same errors in later posts.

You said he joined the group so what exactly did you add him to?

I'll read these three threads carefully. The only reason I posted them within an hour because I noticed that you were online.

When I said I "added" him, it meant that "I added him into my friend list" and "we use the same app". It's like here in our forum. I add you as my friend.

There are 200 people in that group and when Kevin was "added" to that group, I saw him and I added him. It's an online group like a chat room.

This is the second time you've incorrectly used "conclude".

Is it natural to use "summarize"?

"It's fate that led us to meet"
"I feel very lucky for having met you".

Are these two sentences natural now? I think so. I ask because I'm not sure because sometimes the things I've written are not clear and natural even though with your careful corrections.

Much appreciated!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'll read these three threads carefully. The only reason I posted them within an hour because I noticed that you were online.

Please don't wait for specific members to be online. Everyone is here to help.

When I said I "added" him, it meant that "I added him into my friend list" and "we use the same app". It's like here in our forum. I add you as my friend. There are 200 people in that group and when Kevin was "added" to that group, I saw him and I added him. It's an online group like a chat room.

In that case, you needed to say "I added him as a friend" or similar.

Is it natural to use "summarize"?

In this context, no. That's the use of "conclude" that you've been using but it doesn't make sense in your piece. You're not summarising anything. You're simply telling us what sentence you said and asking if it's natural.

Are these two sentences natural now? I think so. I ask because I'm not sure because sometimes the things I've written are not clear and natural even though with your careful corrections.

Do you think that I would purposely correct sentences but make them unnatural?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you think that I would purposely correct sentences but make them unnatural?

Definitely not. I should have expressed myself clearer:

Sometimes the sentences I've written (the sentences themselves are confused and not easy to understand, like the one about "Kevin's speeches and logics"). Even with your careful corrections and detailed explanation, the sentence is still full of problems.

Anyway, I'll work harder on improving my writing skills. I'd been learning Chinglish for many years until finally I came here and somewhere else.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
the sentences themselves are confused

People are confused. Sentences are confusing.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"It's fate that let us meet"

A more common way of putting that idea, involving no personification of fate, is to say:

It was fate that we met.

Status
Not open for further replies.