Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

John stepped in the balcony. He looked up at the sky. A few stars shone dimly amid the light pollution. The city was suffocated by traffic and smog. He thought about Mary and for a second a smile crossed his lips. Then he remembered Mary was marrying another man and the smile died on his lips.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is this correct and natural?

John stepped [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] onto the balcony. He looked up at the sky. A few stars shone dimly [STRIKE]amid[/STRIKE] above/through/despite the light pollution. The city was suffocated by traffic and smog. He thought about Mary and for a second a smile crossed his lips. Then he remembered Mary was marrying another man and the smile died. [STRIKE]on his lips.[/STRIKE]

See above.

You can step in a puddle or a pile of dog poo but not in a balcony.
The stars weren't shining amid pollution. That suggests that the light pollution was centred around the stars. I know light pollution's bad but it definitely doesn't reach as far into space as all the way to the stars!
Avoid repetition (his lips).

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
See above.

You can step in a puddle or a pile of dog poo but not in a balcony.
The stars weren't shining amid pollution. That suggests that the light pollution was centred around the stars. I know light pollution's bad but it definitely doesn't reach as far into space as all the way to the stars!
Avoid repetition (his lips).

Thank you. I want to keep the last sentence as it is. Can I use face to avoid repeating lips?

John stepped onto the balcony. He looked up at the sky. A few stars shone dimly through the light pollution. The city was suffocated by traffic and smog. He thought about Mary and for a second a faint smile crossed his face. Then he remembered Mary was marrying another man and the smile died on his lips.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can, but where else could it die?

Tdol