Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

**********************************************************************************************

When the village Elders informed the people about Lanhua's dream of the meteorites, a few spoke in panicked voices, jumping to the conclusion that they did not have enough time to prepare. Gan looked at the Elders, and they gave him the nod to speak. In a loud voice, he asked for quiet, then. “When my family knew of the dream, I took it straight to the Elders who correctly told me to wait before telling you, but they also put me in charge of making preparations for the whole village, which is now complete. As for telling you about the dream itself, back then, it would have been a waste of time, because most of you would not have believed me.”

There were murmurs and then nods, as the villagers realised the truth of what he had said. Gan let the murmuring die down and then continued. “I have also built a device that will allow us to see deep into the night sky and have ample warning of the meteors, I invite you to send one family member to look through the device. As yet the meteors are not visible, but I will point it at the moon and other things so that you can see how it works.”

The crowd calmed; even more, some even laughed nervously. Gan went on. “My family and a few others have worked hard at preparing a place of safety, in which we all can wait until the crisis has passed and things have returned to normal. The first ten family representatives may come tonight to view the sky through my telescope, an hour after moonrise.”

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

**********************************************************************************************

When the village Elders informed the people about Lanhua's dream of the meteorites, a few spoke in panicked voices, jumping to the conclusion that they did not have [STRIKE]enough[/STRIKE] time to prepare. Gan looked at the Elders, and they gave him the nod to speak. In a loud voice, he asked for quiet, then, “When my family knew of the dream, I took it straight to the Elders, who correctly told me to wait before telling you. But they also put me in charge of making preparations for the whole village, which are now complete. As for telling you about the dream itself, back then, it would have been a waste of time, because most of you would not have believed me.”

There were murmurs and then nods, as the villagers realised the truth of what he had said. Gan let the murmuring die down and then continued. “I have also built a device that will allow us to see deep into the night sky and have ample warning of the meteors, I invite you to send one family member to look through the device. As yet the meteors are not visible, but I will point it at the moon and other things so that you can see how it works.”

The crowd calmed; even more, some even laughed nervously. Gan went on. “My family and a few others have worked hard at preparing a place of safety, in which we all can wait until the crisis has passed and things have returned to normal. The first ten family representatives may come tonight to view the sky through my telescope, an hour after moonrise.”
Capitalizing Elders isn't necessarily wrong, but in can seem pretentious. You be the judge.

Saying enough time to spare is redundant. Either use enough time or time to spare. Don't combine them.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you for your time. As for 'enough time to spare' , my original text says 'enough time to prepare'.

Status
Not open for further replies.