Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Which are correct:

1) You cannot write a song just like that. You need to have a worthwhile subject, a good tune, and good lyrics.
2) You cannot write a song in just any fashion. You need to have a worthwhile subject, a good tune, and good lyrics.
3) You cannot write a song all anyhow. You need to have a worthwhile subject, a good tune, and good lyrics.
4) You cannot write a song anyhow. You need to have a worthwhile subject, a good tune, and good lyrics.

The idea is that you can write a song without any preparation. It is not done the way you improvise a salad with whatever you have in the fridge.

Gratefully,
Navi

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The first one says what you mean.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The idea is that you can write a song without any preparation. It is not done the way you improvise a salad with whatever you have in the fridge.

Gratefully,
Navi
I'd say that if you need to have a worthwhile subject, a good tune, and good lyrics, then you cannot write a song without any preparation.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I cannot think of a context for #3.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
if you need to have a worthwhile subject, a good tune, and good lyrics, then you cannot write a song without any preparation.
I think that's what navi tasan really meant to say.

Last edited:

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thank you both very much,

No, actually it is the other way around. You need a worthwhile subject, a good tune and good lyrics in order to write a song. The idea is that if you just go about it without those elements and proper preparation then your song will be worthless.

You could of course argue that there are a lot of worthless songs about and they sell well, but my statement was made from an artistic point of view.

Gratefully,
Navi

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank you both very much,

No, actually it is the other way around. You need a worthwhile subject, a good tune and good lyrics in order to write a song. The idea is that if you just go about it without those elements and proper preparation then your song will be worthless.

You could of course argue that there are a lot of worthless songs about and they sell well, but my statement was made from an artistic point of view.

Gratefully,
Navi
One of my favourite artists, the late John Prine, had a good anecdote about song-writing. He performed his limited repertoire at an open-mike night. The bar owner was so impressed that he hired Prine on the spot. Prine them had to go home and compose several new songs in order to have enough material.

Status
Not open for further replies.