English Teacher
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
Hello,
When I studied English (quite some time ago) the rule/the use of the Present Perfect with 'just' was clear, fixed. Past Simple was not an option. Nowadays I often see/hear examples, especially in American English, where 'just' is used with the Past Simple. Is that grammatically correct/accepted? Example: 1. He has just left. (He's not here anymore). 2. He just left. (He's not here anymore). In my opinion the second option is grammatically incorrect. Am I mistaken? Have the rules changed?
Thank you for your answer.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Two points @Mzungu39. First, native speakers (of any language) don't rely on rules. Rules help people learn additional languages, but native speakers know intuitively what is acceptable and what is not. Secondly, we here at UE are descriptivists, meaning that whatever native speakers customarily use must be considered acceptable even if it is not strictly grammatical. And as you have correctly observed in AmE the simple past is very often used, even where the past perfect would be better.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
2. He just left. (He's not here anymore). In my opinion the second option is grammatically incorrect.
It sounds correct to me.

A: (on the phone) Is Mzungu39 coming to meet me?
B: He has just left. He'll be there soon.

A: Has Mzungu39 left for the meeting? He'll be late if he doesn't leave right away.
B: He just left. I'm sure he'll get there on time.

the rule/the use of the Present Perfect with 'just' was clear, fixed. Past Simple was not an option.
I've never heard of this though perhaps there used to be such a rule.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In my opinion the second option is grammatically incorrect.
I see nothing grammatically incorrect here. The present perfect is more common in British English, but you will hear some people use the past simple. It's a question of usage rather than grammar to me.