[Vocabulary] Language at the stadium (glossary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Some of my students will be working at the stadium during the coming football championship. They will be helping people to find their seats. They asked me to give them some phrases and words that they may need. As I'm not a football fan and have never seen a match in my life, I can't imagine what language they might need. Could you help me with some language for this event? What could people possibly ask and what could be the answers of the support staff?

I've found out that the seats at the stadium are called stands and I made a scheme of our local stadium (see the link below).
http://englishhobby.ru/volgograd-arena-scheme-of-the-stands/

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The things you sit on are called "seats". The stands are the structures containing the seats.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Just think of everything they might need to say in Russian, then translate it into English.

They'll probably need to know words for the immediate environment, like stand, seat, row, turnstile, gate, etc. And then they'll need more practical stuff like how to give directions to the toilet, hotdog vendor, car park 3, etc, as well as health and safety advice, things that are not allowed, emergency procedures, and so on.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've found the terms home end and away end. Do they mean the same as entrance and exit to the stadium?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. The first-named team in a match/game is the home team and the second-named team the away team.

Supporters of the respective teams are allocated seats in the home end or away end – this segregation being necessary to reduce the chances of crowd violence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. The first-named team in a match/game is the home team and the second-named team the away team.

That's true for sport in the UK. However, I know that in American Football (gridiron), it's the other way round. The away team goes first and the home team is listed second. It's read as "Dallas Cowboys at New England Patriots".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that one would be said Dallas at Boston.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
... in American Football (gridiron), it's the other way round. The away team goes first and the home team is listed second. It's read as "Dallas Cowboys at New England Patriots".
Thanks for that info, but it won't apply in the OP's situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.