Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should I use "a large collection" instead of "a big collection"? I used asterisks in places I wasn't sure I used the commas correctly.

"I like Richard Madden. I think*,* he is an interesting actor. I enjoyed watching "The Medici". In the modern world*,* film industry is becoming more and more popular. For example, Netflix is one of the most famous platforms for watching movies. There are a big collection of movies and series. Usually people pay a subscription fee for watching movies. I think it's a good method/way for supporting the service.

Should it be "a good method/way" of supporting the service" and "people pay a subscription fee to watch movies" instead?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That's five questions. I look forward to one of your threads that has only one.

The first comma is incorrect. Delete it.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
That's five questions. I look forward to one of your threads that has only one.

The first comma is incorrect. Delete it.

I thought in the "Write and Edit Topics" section it's allowed. :-?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I thought in the "Write and Edit Topics" section it's allowed. :-?

You didn't post this in the Writing and Editing Topics section. You posted it in Ask A Teacher. However, the section is irrelevant. We encourage just one sentence and question per thread as much as possible. In the writing section, it's a different kettle of fish. There is usually just one request - "Please can you check my piece of writing for errors and correct them?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People don't pay Netflix to support the service. They pay Netflix so they can watch the movies.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You didn't post this in the Writing and Editing Topics section. You posted it in Ask A Teacher. However, the section is irrelevant. We encourage just one sentence and question per thread as much as possible. In the writing section, it's a different kettle of fish. There is usually just one request - "Please can you check my piece of writing for errors and correct them?"

Should I delete it and post in the that section?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

Netflix is one of the most well-known platforms for watching movies. They have a huge collection of movies and series.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Should I use "a large collection" instead of "a big collection"? I used asterisks in places I wasn't sure I used the commas correctly.

Both are correct. According to Google Ngrams, large is more common.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are right. The commas don't fit. And you don't really have a subject.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Try:

Netflix is one of the most well-known platforms for watching movies. They have a huge collection of movies and series.

Regarding this part: "Usually people pay a subscription fee for watching movies." I think it's a good method/way for supporting the service." I think I should use "to watch movies". Can I use both "for" and "of" here: "a good method/way of/for supporting the service?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd use neither.

It's a good way to support the service.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I'd use neither.

It's a good way to support the service.

Is it wrong to start my sentence with "usually"? "Usually people pay a subscription fee to watch movies."

I removed "for watching movies". "Usually people pay a subscription fee for watching movies."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it wrong to start my sentence with "usually"? "Usually people pay a subscription fee to watch movies."

That's fine. (The idea of supporting the service is alien to me.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I removed "for watching movies". "Usually people pay a subscription fee for watching movies."

It's OK to start with "Usually". I don't know why you said "I removed for watching movies" and then immediately wrote a sentence ending with "for watching movies"! Note that "for verb+ing" is not natural in this context, but "to + infinitive" is.

I'm with Tarheel on not agreeing with the concept of supporting Netflix by paying them. If I wanted to support a small, local business, I would shop there. With a huge multinational company like Netflix, I don't see it as support. I'm solely paying them so that I can watch the TV series and films I really want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.