latest development in quantum mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I tell Google:"Tell me latest development in quantum mechanics" and what Google shows on screen is:

Tell me latest development in new quantum mechanics.

The question of this thread is: Have I used "in" correctly? Should I use "of"?:

Tell me latest development of quantum mechanics.

I am not sure. Because it seems to me that "Tell me latest development in new quantum mechanics" mean "Tell me latest development in (the field of) new quantum mechanics." (The phrase "the field of" can be omitted).

I would say: Tell me/Update me on the latest development in quantum mechanics.

OK but you haven’t answered my question.

In is correct.
Omit the field of new. Quantum physics is a subject.

What about "of" there? Is "of" more favorable in English in the context?

What about "of" there? Is "of" more favorable in English in the context?

No, we usually talk about the development in a subject, not of a subject/field/news/research/study, etc.

I tell Google:"Tell me latest development in quantum mechanics" and what Google shows on screen is:

The question of this thread is: Have I used "in" correctly? Should I use "of"?
"In" is the right preposition. Google inserted a word that doesn't belong. You made two errors in your sentence: it's missing an article, and "developments" should be plural.

You've put up several posts like this one recently. Why do you care how Google or Alexa interpret your words, and how do you think other forum members should respond? I can't see how this approach is useful to anyone, but I may be missing something.

Voice recognition isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. It got the gist of what you were asking and that's what's important.

You've put up several posts like this one recently. Why do you care how Google or Alexa interpret your words, and how do you think other forum members should respond? I can't see how this approach is useful to anyone, but I may be missing something.

Two points: 1) I made the sentences and cared about their grammars (so it is a practice of sentence making which makes sense).
2) Google or Alexa serves as an assistant to recognize the gist of my speaking. So far it did a good job because its database often offers clues to good grammars (See it insists in using "in" rather than "of" in the OP). But machine learning has its flaws, which could be corrected by human intelligence. Neither AI nor NI (natural intelligence) is unfailingly perfect. They are mutually complemental.

Admittedly, I am not an ESL learner, but I wouldn't pay close attention to how Google interpreted my words as long as I got what I wanted. Are you relying on Google for grammar help?

Admittedly, I am not an ESL learner, but I wouldn't pay close attention to how Google interpreted my words as long as I got what I wanted. Are you relying on Google for grammar help?

The vital point with Google is beyond the grammar: that it can correctly show what you speak - which further confirms what Siri has confirmed on screen: You've clearly spoken correct English!

The vital point with Google is beyond the grammar: that it can correctly show what you speak - which further confirms what Siri has confirmed on screen: You've clearly spoken correct English!
It can't "correctly show what you speak". It can tell you what it thinks you said. I see no value in that except as a way to check your pronunciation. Please don't post such messages any more except in the Pronunciation forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back