Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
a) I leave school at five everyday.

The Open Day is held at my school :

b) On the Open Day, I will leave the school at six.
c) On the Open Day, I will leave school at six.

Are the sentences above correct? What is the difference between b) and c)?

Thank you

Not a teacher

A There must be "the" before "school."

B means that the one who will leave the school is a teacher, a student or any other person who works in the school.

C means that the one who will leave is only a visitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
A There must be "the" before "school."

B means that the one who will leave the school is a teacher, a student or any other person who works in the school.

C means that the one who will leave is only a visitor.

A. I think "the" is optional.

B & C - How do you tell if the sentences are spoken by a teacher/student/visitor?

Muhammad Raza Wynne, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

To me it is vital to use "the" before "school" on account of "everyday" which is written in the end of the sentence. The use of everyday makes the school a special place where he goes daily and with special things we use the.
B) because for a teacher or a student the school is an important place where they go daily.

C) because for a visitor school is not an important place.

I'm not a teacher

Yes I'm not a teacher.

Now that you have made more than ten posts, you can add that statement to your signature. If you're like me, you will surely forget to type it sometimes; you don't have to remember if it's in your signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back