Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What is the subject of the sentence which the expression "led by chemical biologist David Liu" is in?

It seems to me that either "led by"(before "chemical biologist David") should be deleted or adding "a team" before "led by ... David."

Am I on the right track?

=================
In late 2018, led by chemical biologist David Liu of the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard in Cambridge, Massachusetts, received an e-mail from across the country: in Seattle, a team led by microbiologist Joseph Mougous at the University of Washington had discovered a strange enzyme. It was a toxin made by the bacterium Burkholderia cenocepacia — and when it encountered the DNA base C, it converted it to a U. Because U, which is not commonly found in DNA, behaves like a T, the enzymes that replicate the cell’s DNA copy it as a T, effectively converting a C in the genome sequence to a T.

Source: Nature 08 JULY 2020

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02054-5

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are smack on the track. Send out a search party! The subject is missing!

Someone received an email, but the writer forgot to say who. This shows once again why keeping sentences simple reduces mistakes and confusion (and exhaustion).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is the subject of the sentence which the [STRIKE]expression[/STRIKE] phrase "led by chemical biologist David Liu" is in?
Please look up the word "expression". It doesn't mean what you think. :)

The quotation is garbled because of an editing error.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please look up the word "expression". It doesn't mean what you think. :)

I still couldn't see the nub of the problem. Dictionaries seem to be okay with me:

ex•pres•sion (ik spresh′ən),
n.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] a[/FONT] particular word, phrase, or form of words: "Round the bend'' is an old-fashioned expression meaning "crazy.''

Isn't "led by chemical biologist David Liu" a form of words? Or a phrase as you've put forth?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hmm. Now that I've looked, I see that a dictionary may not be the best place to learn about the difference between expressions and phrases. Merriam-Webster doesn't help, at any rate.

You'll find a useful explanation here. I found it by Googling "expression vs phrase".

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You'll find a useful explanation here. I found it by Googling "expression vs phrase".

Got it. "A phrase is just any sequence of words, usually less than a sentence," while an expression is a complete unit of meaning that is idiomatically conveyed.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Got it. "A phrase is just any sequence of words, usually less than a sentence," while an expression is a complete unit of meaning that is idiomatically conveyed.
Yes. It also has to be in common use.

Status
Not open for further replies.