Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Remember that thread I opened recently, where we talked for ages about the differences between point to and point at? Well, a new can of worms opened when I found another synonym (don't you just love this language?) while trying to write the sentence below.

'Look in there,' he said, gesturing/pointing to/towards the box.

Now I need someone to explain to me the difference between gesture and point as well as the difference between to and towards. And, of course, I need someone to tell me which of those combos is correct here. Isn't this language just adorable?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Now I need you to explain to me the difference between gesture and point as well as the difference between to and towards. And, of course, I need you to tell me which of those combos is correct here. I
As a writer, you should become more aware of tone. 'I need you to ...' is how someone in a position of authority might ask a subordinate to do something.

Last edited:

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
As a writer, you should become more aware of tone. 'I need you to ...' is how someone in a position of authority might a subordinate to do something.

My first choice was you have to. :loling:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think it's increasingly apparent to some of us that you don't so much lack an awareness of tone as simply enjoy being abrasive. Needless to say, it's counterproductive because not only do you cause us to resist helping you, you also waste time by unnecessarily stretching out your threads.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please rephrase your request, 99bottles.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I think it's increasingly apparent to some of us that you don't so much lack an awareness of tone as simply enjoy being abrasive.

No, I swear that I really thought that I need you to sounded more polite than you have to. Anyway, I edited the OP.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Native speakers hear things that non-natives don't. Things like "I need you to ..." and "I want you to ..." can appear brusque and rude. Stick with "I would appreciate it if you would ..." or "Please could you ...".

I have closed the thread (5jj said he had closed it but appears not to have been successful in doing so).

Status
Not open for further replies.