Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
- Gradually, I realized that I loved sewing and frequently helped my aunt sew clothes.

Please correct my mistakes in the sentence. Also, is it correct to use "and" in the sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't like your sentence, partly because it should be "love", not "loved". Also, the word order suggests that you gradually realised that you frequently helped your aunt.

I gradually realised that I love sewing and now I frequently help my aunt make clothes.

Oceanlike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I don't like your sentence, partly because it should be "love", not "loved". Also, the word order suggests that you gradually realised that you frequently helped your aunt.

I gradually realised that I love sewing and now I frequently help my aunt make clothes.

1) I'm writing a piece of narrative. So, I can use "I gradually realised (past tense) that I love (present tense)"?

2) I wanted to say that the realisation of "love sewing" and "frequently help" my aunt happened at the same time.
- Can I leave out 'now' from 'now I frequently help.....'

3) As it is more like a personal recount type of writing, should I write everything in the past tense?

4) "Gradually, I realized that sewing is my passion" - do I use "is" my passion or 'was" my passion? (In the context that I'm trying to write a personal recount type of writing.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Is the whole thing in the past?

Oceanlike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I don't know how to answer this question because some are in the present and some are in the past.

Eg: "Gradually, I realized that sewing is my passion" - Sewing is still my passion so I think I should write in present tense
Eg:
"Gradually, I realized that I loved sewing and frequently helped my aunt sew clothes." - I still love sewing but no longer helping my aunt; in this case, do I still use present tense "love" or should I use "loved" and "helped" should be in past tense since I am no longer helping my aunt.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Reread the advice given by emsr2d2 in post #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.