Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

In reading an older book, I came across a word a macaroni meaning a fop or a dandy. It would sound a little bit dated if used in nowadays, wouldn´t it?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It would be incomprehensible to most people.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fashion trends have changed much in 250 some odd years, so it's not exactly in vogue.

In fact, despite it being referenced in the well-known song "Yankee Doodle", most Americans regard it as just silly non-sense lyrics, and don't realize it's a fashion term. Particularly since the song has come to be regarded more as a nursery rhyme than a patriotic hymn.

Perhaps in Connecticut, where it's the state anthem, you might find a little awareness, but I'm willing to bet you'd be hard pressed to find anybody aware it's not just a pasta.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Before I read the story, I had had no idea the word macaroni could mean something else than a kind of pasta. I had to look it up.

P.S. I remember my first introduction to Yankee Doodle was through E.A.Poe´s short story The System Of Doctor Tarr And Professor Fether. Mad patients played and sung it during a maniac paroxysm at the end of the tale. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.