Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
In my country the government is dividing the sea beach into two. One side will be reserved for foreigners and VIPs and the other for normal people. So I said:

"The government is making a separate section where you can walk around naked or in bikinis."

I'm not sure if 'making a separate section' is correct. How would a native speaker say it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my country, the government is dividing one of the [STRIKE]sea[/STRIKE] beaches into two. One side will be reserved for foreigners and VIPs and the other for [STRIKE]normal people[/STRIKE] everyone else. [STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] I said:

"The government is [STRIKE]making[/STRIKE] creating a separate section where [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] people can walk around naked or in [STRIKE]bikinis[/STRIKE] swimwear."

I'm not sure if 'making a separate section' is correct. How would a native speaker say it?

See my changes above. I took out bikinis and replaced it with "swimwear" because I'm fairly certain that any men who want to use it aren't required to be either naked or be in a bikini! Swimwear includes one-piece swimming costumes, bikinis, swimming shorts, trunks, Speedos etc.

I have also assumed that there is not just one beach in your country.

Don't use "normal people". It suggests that everyone else is abnormal in some way.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my country the government is dividing the sea beach into two. One side will be reserved for foreigners and VIPs and the other for normal people.

That is what some of us call unintentional humor. Instead of normal people you could say regular people, ordinary people, or as Ems phrased it, everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
See my changes above. I took out bikinis and replaced it with "swimwear" because I'm fairly certain that any men who want to use it aren't required to be either naked or be in a bikini! Swimwear includes one-piece swimming costumes, bikinis, swimming shorts, trunks, Speedos etc.

I have also assumed that there is not just one beach in your country.

Don't use "normal people". It suggests that everyone else is abnormal in some way.

Thanks a lot. I see what's wrong with 'normal'.
Could you please explain the difference between 'making' and 'creating' here?

And I've rephrased it. Please tell me if it sounds better:
The government is creating a separate section where people would be able to walk around naked or in swimwear.

Last edited:

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
That is what some of us call unintentional humor. Instead of normal people you could say regular people, ordinary people, or as Ems phrased it, everyone else.

Haha. I see.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot. I see what's wrong with 'normal'.
Could you please explain the difference between 'making' and 'creating' here?

And I've rephrased it. Please tell me if it sounds better:
The government is creating a separate section where people would be able to walk around naked or in swimwear.

That is called a clothing optional beach here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And I've rephrased it. Please tell me if [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] this sounds better?

If I thought "people would be able to" was better than "people can", don't you think I would have suggested it in post #2?

Status
Not open for further replies.