Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

sorry, but I have many questions at once.

1. What is this construction "...might want..."
2. what does mean "I am a patient of Dr. Prebi's"? Does it mean "...of his practice"?
3. Is this sentence right? "Everybody uses a computer, doesn't he?"
4. Why can you say "Tany married a man with many faults"? I thought, you can only say "Tany has married a man with many faults".
5. youtube:
3:48: "I didn't have a chance to see Madam Tussaud's". But why "I didn't..."? It is not specific in time, so you should say "I haven't had a chance...", shouldn't you?
6.i can't understand, what "approach" means .
7. Can I say "I am studying" even if I am not studying in this moment, but I study generally, so that it would mean almost the same like "I study"?
8. Is it necessary to say "Olena said, THAT it would be really a chance for us" or can you say "Olena said, it would be really a chance for us"

Thank you in advance

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello.

Sorry, but I have many questions at once.

Welcome to the forums.

Sorry, but we don't answer many questions at once.

Please start a new thread for each, with a title for each which includes the word or words being discussed — such as 'might want' and 'a patient of Dr Prebi's'.

But don't submit them all until we have had a chance to respond to one or two, so you can see how the forum works.

Rover

Last edited:

EnglishFix

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Chile
1. might + verb = possibility English Grammar Lessons

2. "I am a patient of Dr. Prebi's" = "I am Dr. Prebi's patient" (I am his patient = I am a patient of his). In this case, "Dr Prebi's" does not refer to "Dr Prebi's practice".

3. Is this sentence right? "Everybody uses a computer, doesn't he?" No.
"Everybody uses a computer, don't they?" is correct.

4. "Tany married a man with many faults" is the most common way. "Tany has married a man with many faults" is not common and sounds a little strange to me. The only time I would use the present perfect to talk about marriage would be "Tany has been married before".

5. "I didn't" is used in this case because she actually went to London at a specific time. I didn't have a chance to see Madam Tussaud's (when I was in London last year).

"I haven't had a chance..." is more general and is not time specific. I haven't had a chance to see Madam Tussaud's (because I've never been to London, because when I go to London I am too busy, etc.)

6. Please tell me the context.

7. You can say "I am studying" if you are not studying at the moment only if you give more information such as "I am studying at the university" or "I am studying English".

To say "I am studying" when you mean "I am a student" sounds strange.

8. Olena said that it would really be a chance for us. This is an "indirect quotation". These are not the exact words that Olena used.

Olena said, "It would really be a chance for us". This is an "direct quotation". These are the exact words that Olena used.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

2. "I am a patient of Dr. Prebi's" = "I am Dr. Prebi's patient" (I am his patient = I am a patient of his). In this case, "Dr Prebi's" does not refer to "Dr Prebi's practice".

4. "Tany married a man with many faults" is the most common way. "Tany has married a man with many faults" is not common and sounds a little strange to me. The only time I would use the present perfect to talk about marriage would be "Tany has been married before".

5. "I didn't" is used in this case because she actually went to London at a specific time. I didn't have a chance to see Madam Tussaud's (when I was in London last year).

"I haven't had a chance..." is more general and is not time specific. I haven't had a chance to see Madam Tussaud's (because I've never been to London, because when I go to London I am too busy, etc.)

7. You can say "I am studying" if you are not studying at the moment only if you give more information such as "I am studying at the university" or "I am studying English".

8. Olena said that it would really be a chance for us. This is an "indirect quotation". These are not the exact words that Olena used.

Olena said, "It would really be a chance for us". This is an "direct quotation". These are the exact words that Olena used.

Did you read the moderator's response before you posted?

kasamb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

thank you so much for that great answer!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have still 2 Question:
1. To your answer Nr.1. I thought, we were to say "...'s", if we say a Name before a subject/object, but if after, than without, for example "I am a patient of Dr. Prebi". And I thought not I am a patient of his, but of him.

2. To your answer Nr.4. I thought, wir were to use Present Perfect, because we "Tany married a man with many faults" refered to no specific time.

Thank you

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please start new threads for these questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.