Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do all the following sentences mean the same? Or are there any differences between them?

1) She married someone she met at work.
2) She got married to someone she met at work.
3) She’s married to someone she met at work.

And, Could you think of any situations where you can use the following sentence?

4) She is divorced from her second husband.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
The first two refer to what she did. The third refers to what she is.

And, Could you think of any situations where you can use the following sentence?

I'm not sure I've understood your question. You could use it in a situation where she has divorced her second husband, of course.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Shouldn't it be "got divorced", rather than "is divorced"?
They mean different things, as I explained with the "married" example.

She got divorced = She took the action of getting divorced.
She is divorced = Her status is that of a divorced woman.

The latter sounds eerie to me.
I don't know why it sounds eerie to you. "Eerie" means something like "mysterious" or "ghostly". Maybe you mean "strange" or "weird".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do all the following sentences mean the same no question mark here or are there any differences between them?

And Also, could can you think of any situations where you can use the following sentence?

Please note my comments and corrections above. Your opening question is tautologous. You should have stopped after "same".
Don't try to start a sentence with "and".
The first word after a comma should start with a lower-case letter unless it's a proper noun.

I'm not sure why you seem to think it would be difficult to come up with a context for sentence #4.

utsavviradiya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Gujarati
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm not sure why you seem to think it would be difficult to come up with a context for sentence #4.
I thought divorce was an event that happened in the past, so it should be always "was divorced", not "is divorced". But after Barque's reply, I came to know that it's used to describe one's current marital status.

Also, with regards to the corrections in my opening question, why can't we use could, as in Could you think of any situations where you can use the following sentence?

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
But after Barque's reply, I came to know that it's used to describe one's current marital status.
It depends on what you're saying. If you say you divorced your wife a year ago, it's an event in the past. If you say you are divorced, it's a description of your status.

why can't we use could, as in Could you think of any situations where you can use the following sentence?
"Could" is used when you ask someone if they can do something for you. "Could you give me some examples please?" But your sentence, though you were asking us to do something for you, was worded as if you were just asking us to do something. So "can" is the right choice there.

"Could" is also used when you're asking about whether someone was able to do something in the past, or regarding a hypothetical situation. "Could you do it without any practice?" But that context doesn't fit here either.

Status
Not open for further replies.