[Grammar] Matt and Sarah (have) have been having some difficulties in their relationship lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

danghuynh88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello teachers.

I have been confusing with present perfect and present perfect continuous lately. Although I knew when to use it but when it comes to timeline of verb tenses, I get confused all the time. Look at this sentence please:

Matt and Sarah (have) have been having some difficulties in their relationship lately, so they (go) have been going to a marriage counselor. I hope they work everything out. --> The right answer is to apply present perfect continuous for both (have) and (go)

Can I also use present perfect for (go) ??

Matt and Sarah (have) have been having some difficulties in their relationship lately, so they (go) have gone to a marriage counselor. I hope they work everything out

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, you can. Have been going means they began going recently and continue to go. Have gone means they went at least once; it doesn't say whether they continue to see the counselor.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe it (have gone) doesn't say they have stopped seeing a marriage counselor, but it would be reasonable to assume that is the case. Otherwise, say they are still going.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It (have gone) could also mean that they are not at home now because they are at the marriage counsellor's office now.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note: 'I have been [STRIKE]confusing[/STRIKE] confused ...'

Status