Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I was thinking about how different the Indian subcontinent would be today if it weren't colonised.

"May be it would/would've be/been a different country if the British hadn't colonised it."

I'm confused between would and would've in this sentence. I think 'would be' is correct for this type of structure.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was thinking about how different the Indian subcontinent would be today if it weren't hadn't been colonised.

"Maybe it would be/would've be/ been a different country if the British hadn't colonised it."

I'm confused between "would be" and "would've been" in this sentence. I think 'would be' is correct for this type of structure.
In this context, you're right. You want to talk about what it might be like now, not what it might have been like in the past.

UE-SPMIW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
In my opinion, the correct phrase in this sentence would be "would be." The phrase "would have been" is used to talk about something that could have happened in the past but didn't. However, in this sentence, you are discussing a hypothetical situation that has not yet happened, and thus "would be" is the correct phrase.

Basically, you're discussing a hypothetical reality that may exist now if the British hadn't colonized India in the past. Therefore, "would be" is the correct phrase to use here.

So the corrected sentence would be: "Maybe it would be a different country if the British hadn't colonized it."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Basically, you're discussing a hypothetical reality that may might exist now if the British hadn't colonized India in the past. Therefore, "would be" is the correct phrase to use here.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am not quite sure why you found my last post so 🤣 amusing, Saski Uchiha. It was a correction of a mistake you made.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
a different country
If you're referring to the subcontinent, it isn't a single country. There are about six or seven in it. And a couple of them weren't colonised.

The Indian subcontinent would be a different place today if the British hadn't colonised most of it.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
The phrase "would have been" is used to talk about something that could have happened in the past but didn't.
"India would've been a multicultural country if the British hadn't decolonized it."

Have I used 'would've been' correctly in this sentence?

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Yes, but the sentence doesn't make sense to me. It is a multicultural country. And I've never heard the word "decolonize" used this way before.
Sorry I was a bit sleepy while writing that. I meant to write multiracial.
I actually came across the word 'decolonize' when I searched for antonyms of 'colonize' just to make this sentence up.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Ashraful Haque I believe India is multiracial. However, the sentence structure is fine.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
@Ashraful Haque I believe India is multiracial. However, the sentence structure is fine.
Thank you as always.
I've been to India a couple of times. To be honest I didn't see any native white, black or asians like I've seen in other countries, specially in the west.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Those aren't the only races in the world. You have different races among south Asians too. And being to India a "couple of times" won't tell you much about it, unless you visited every state on those trips.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Barque I guess this is off-topic, but one thing that has stuck with me is that India has 80 languages spoken by a million or more people. Wow!

@Ashraful Haque There are two words in that post that are normally capitalized (Asian and West). Also, you will see people in India from the darkest of dark to the lightest of light. (I made that up in the fly. Clever, huh? 😉)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.