[General] Maybe I should stop attending our English club...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was chatting with Chris. Chris knows that, in order to motivate people speak English and participate our English club, I've been trying my best to do everything for it. Tonight I divulged to him that I want to stop attending the English club for a while because helping others while they don't appreciate my help is really tiring and I feel very tired. I said to him "Maybe I should stop attending our English club for a few weeks coz I'm really feeling tired".

Is my italic sentence natural?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I said to him "Maybe I should stop attending our English club for a few weeks coz I'm really feeling tired".

Yes. I see no reason to write "coz" rather than 'cause.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes. I see no reason to write "coz" rather than 'cause.

Will the following sentence be better?

"Maybe I should stop attending our English club for a few weeks because I'm really feeling tired".

Also, is it more natural to say "I'm really tired"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was chatting with Chris. Chris knows that [no comma] in order to motivate people speak to English and participate in our English club, I've been doing my best to do everything for it. Tonight I divulged to him that I want to stop attending the English club for a while because helping others although they don't appreciate my help is really tiring, and I feel very tired. I said to him "Maybe I should stop attending our English club for a few weeks coz I'm really feeling tired".

It's natural enough in chatroom English (I think).

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Tarheel, I wasn't chatting with Chris in a chatroom. We talked to each other in person.

Also, my questions in #3 are new while the first question in the OP was answered by GoesStation.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"... because I'm really feeling tired" is an unnatural word order. We'd say "... because I'm really tired" or "... because I'm feeling really tired". Bear in mind that saying that does not include the information that what you find tiring is helping people who don't appreciate it.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"... because I'm really feeling tired" is an unnatural word order. We'd say "... because I'm really tired" or "... because I'm feeling really tired". Bear in mind that saying that does not include the information that what you find tiring is helping people who don't appreciate it.

Much appreciated, emsr2d2. How about the former part before "because I'm really tired". I notice that you used "...." so I think it's okay. Am I right?

alexanderfinn

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

It really depends on what you want to stress in the sentence. 'I'm really feeling tired' could be natural enough if the speaker wants to emphasise that their feeling is stronger than someone just being a little fatigued. If you put strong stress on the 'really' it gives this idea.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Tonight I divulged to him that I want to stop attending the English club for a while because helping others although they don't appreciate my help is really tiring, and I feel very tired.

Would "when" be better than "although"?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's natural in American English. We might say:

- because I'm really feeling tired of . . . .
- because I'm feeling really tired of . . . .
- because I'm getting tired of . . . .
- because I'm tired of . . . .
- because I'm really tired of . . . .

Although the literal meaning is different, conversationally they mean exactly the same thing.

And yes, Silver, coz is fine as textspeak, but it's not standard written English. It's not a word. Now you know!

But — you're thinking of quitting the club? I thought you loved it there!

I agree with Ems. Let people know why you're tired of coaching them — not in an angry way, just in an honest way.

They'll appreciate knowing how you feel, and you might get feedback that helps you be a better coach.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel, I wasn't chatting with Chris in a chatroom. We talked to each other in person.

Also, my questions in #3 are new while the first question in the OP was answered by GoesStation.

I think you missed my point. It's natural in chatroom English but not otherwise (in my opinion, which might not be worth much. (I don't visit chatrooms often.))

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You need to remember that what we say changes depending on the format and context. We often don't speak the same way we write and vice versa. If I was texting/emailing/chatrooming (yes, I invented the last word) your friend Kris, I'd probably write "Might not go to English club for a couple of weeks. Really tired!" If I was talking to him in person, I'd probably use a few more words and say "I might give English club a miss for a few weeks. I'm tired of people not appreciating my help". If I was emailing or talking to the person in charge of the club, I'd write/say "I just want to let you know that I'm probably going to be absent from English Club for the next few weeks. I'm finding it quite tiring and I'm not sure the other members appreciate how much work goes in to helping them".

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You need to remember that what we say changes depending on the format and context. We often don't speak the same way we write and vice versa.

That's what I need, emsr2d2. I know it could be a luxury for professional English teachers here to rewrite new sentences, I'm grateful for teachers' help here.

I think my original sentence is also good even when talking to Kris face to face.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's what I need, emsr2d2. I know it could be a chore for professional English teachers here to rewrite [STRIKE]new[/STRIKE] sentences. I'm grateful for teachers' help here.

I think my original sentence is also good even when talking to Kris face to face.

We are all volunteers, so we don't do anything we don't want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.