Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The following is written on the label of the Goldlion trousers I bought recently. Could someone please explain to me what the part in bold means?

This collection is created with selected premium fabric cut with a modern silhouette to fit the modern lifestyle of the working executive.

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's marketing gobbledegook. I imagine it's supposed to suggest that the clothes are cut in the most modern style, which will show up well if you are silhoutted against a light background.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It simply means how it's cut, the overall pattern, the outline it makes. This example is on www.m-w.com:
  1. He admired the sports car's sleek silhouette.
It's the same for clothing.

I don't what makes it modern silhouette versus an traditional silhouette, because I"m not very fashionable.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that both 5jj and Barb_d are using 'cut' in a sense that may not be familiar to you - where it doesn't mean just 'cut' (in the simple 'separate using a sharp instrument' sense, but the cloth is cut (in that sense) and the pieces of material are sewn together. ;-)

b

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I recently learned that "executive cut" means the garment is tailored to fit men with expanded(ing?) waistlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.