English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello!

Could you please explain to me the meaning of the phrase in bold? What is "minor slights"? What does "becomes engaged by" mean in this context? :?:

His academic performance across all subjects is poor, and this has resulted in feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem. He regards himself as isolated from his peer group and becomes engaged by seemingly minor slights.

P.S. The text is about a schoolboy who demonstrates aggressive behaviour towards his classmates and teachers.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
slight - an act or remark that criticizes sth or offends sb. OALD

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
slight - an act or remark that criticizes sth or offends sb. OALD
And what does the whole phrase "he becomes engaged by seemingly minor slights" mean? Is it possible to rephrase it?:?:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And what does the whole phrase "he becomes engaged by seemingly minor slights" mean? Is it possible to rephrase it?:?:

He is easily distracted by very small criticisms.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
He is easily distracted by very small criticisms.
Thank you. You might think me a nerd, but I can't imagine someone being "distracted by very small criticisms". Distracted from what? From his activity at the lesson? Someone criticises the boy and the boy gets distracted from what he has been doing? What could a real life situation be like? Could you,if possible, give some example?:?::?:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you. You might think me a nerd, but I can't imagine someone being "distracted by very small criticisms". Distracted from what? From his activity at the lesson? Someone criticises the boy and the boy gets distracted from what he has been doing? What could a real life situation be like? Could you,if possible, give some example?:?::?:

I think that "engaged" might perhaps mean that he becomes more involved with someone after receiving only slight criticism. Perhaps he starts to speak to the person who has insulted him or criticised him in some way. That would be distracting in class but it would also distract him from daily life, I suppose. I don't think it's entirely clear what was meant by the passage.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you. You might think me a nerd, but I can't imagine someone being "distracted by very small criticisms".
Then you are fortunate. Many people are "distracted by very small criticisms". Paranoid people are one example, but it's not uncommon in others as well. You might just have to accept this.
Distracted from what?
Distracted from thinking of anything other than their most recent criticism.
In this case, it might refer to a mild criticism of the boy's grammar by the teacher, for example. Under the right psychological circumstances, the boy takes this as being a general criticism of his own worth, and he loses self-esteem.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is it "he gets offended easily by small critiicisms?"

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks to all of you who participated, your posts are really useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.