Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was talking about both. But don't you use "Mr", "Ms", "Mrs", "Miss" in a posted letter?

Yes, we do. That's what I meant. I would use them in a posted letter but I'm unlikely to use them in an email. However, if I was attaching a formal letter to an email, I would start that letter with the formal greeting.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Yes, we do. That's what I meant. I would use them in a posted letter but I'm unlikely to use them in an email. However, if I was attaching a formal letter to an email, I would start that letter with the formal greeting.

Are they considered formal? Or are they less formal than "Dear Sir" and "Dear Madam"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For me, if you start any communication with "Dear Sir", "Dear Madam", "Dear Sir/Madam" or "Dear Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms + surname", it's likely that you are writing something formal. Bear in mind, though, that it's the content of the letter that makes it formal/informal, and you then choose an opening greeting that matches. You wouldn't start a letter to your bank manager with "Hiya, mate!" nor would you start an email to your best friend with "Dear Mr Johnson".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Are they considered formal? Or are they less formal than "Dear Sir" and "Dear Madam"?

Sir or madam is when you don't know the name- it's not a question of formality.

I know your name. If I were writing an email to you for a job, I would still use Dear Ms Adams. If replying to an email about the forum, I would simply use Rachel. If I were sending you a letter, the only difference would be that I would use Dear Rachel for the letter about the forum.

Others may handle things differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.