Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
In a book, is it legitimate to say 'my heart had half a mind to jump out of my chest' (i.e., I was extremely anxious)?

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
No. Your heart was ready/about to jump out. Or it almost/nearly/all but jumped out. But it doesn't have a mind. I did a Google search for your phrase using "had" and "has", and there was only one return: Half of my heart has half a mind to tell you that. Half of my heart just won't do. But here, the "heart" refers to the person's feelings.

I AM NOT TEACHER NOR A NATIVE SPEAKER.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
@Ostap The forum rules state that anyone may answer a question provided they state that they are neither a teacher nor a native speaker. I have edited your post to add the required disclaimer. Don't fail to make it in future.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, Natalia, it's perfectly legitimate to say that. "To have half a mind to ...' is a common idiom. It indicates that the speaker is strongly inclined or tempted to do something, although the inclination may not actually be carried out.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
@Ostap The forum rules state that anyone may answer a question provided they state that they are neither a teacher nor a native speaker. I have edited your post to add the required disclaimer. Don't fail to make it in future.
But I have it in my signature. I was advised earlier by a moderator to use this statement in a signature (like other non-native speakers do here), to avoid stating it every time in posts.

There's already two reminders in every my post that I'm not a native speaker and teacher:
not a techer.png
Wouldn't the third one above be redundant?

Yes, Natalia, it's perfectly legitimate to say that. "To have half a mind to ...' is a common idiom. It indicates that the speaker is strongly inclined or tempted to do something, although the inclination may not actually be carried out.
Yes, but in the OP it's a body part -- the heart.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Sorry @Ostap. I can't see signatures on my phone. I'm not sure whether @Red5 is still trying to fix that or whether it's just something we have to live with.

Nevertheless, I stand by what I said. It's an idiom and the fact that the heart is a body part is irrelevant. The passage quoted in the OP is perfectly correct and natural.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Sorry @Ostap. I can't see signatures on my phone. I'm not sure whether @Red5 is still trying to fix that or whether it's just something we have to live with.

Nevertheless, I stand by what I said. It's an idiom and the fact that the heart is a body part is irrelevant. The passage quoted in the OP is perfectly correct and natural.

I just checked -- in my case the signatures are visible both via PC and phone if I'm logged in, and not if I'm logged out.

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I checked and there have been cases where signatures were not visible to mobiles. I've found a fix which I hope will resolve this now, and everyone should be able to see them. @probus Can you confirm if you can see them now please?

Sorry for the inconvenience @Ostap

in my case the signatures are visible both via PC and phone if I'm logged in, and not if I'm logged out.

Edited to add: It's policy that sigs are only visible to logged in users, so I'm not sure how the above quote is possible

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank you @Red5. I can now see @Ostap's signature at the foot of his posts.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Edited to add: It's policy that sigs are only visible to logged in users, so I'm not sure how the above quote is possible
My quote states the same, namely that the signatures are visible when I'm logged in and not visible when I'm logged out. Perhaps I didn't formulate it clear.:)

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry that's my fault. I seem to have mis-read the quoted text. Apologies. 😳