Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello! Which sentence sounds more natural?
- We use these words for things that are not so near.
- We use these words for things that are not so nearby.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Near" is the appropriate word. However, the word "so" is not right. If you're comparing those "things" to other things that are nearer, use "as near".

Soleil

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
"Near" is the appropriate word. However, the word "so" is not right. If you're comparing those "things" to other things that are nearer, use "as near".
If I’m not comparing things but I’d like to highlight that those words (that/those, over there) are used when we are speaking about things that are not near me (I can see them but I cannot touch them). I don’t want to use the word “far away”.

Knowing this context, do you still find this sentence incorrect? If “yes”, could you please give your variant?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that case, just use "near".

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
If I’m not comparing things but I’d like to highlight that those words (that/those, over there) are used when we are speaking about things that are not near me (I can see them but I cannot touch them). I don’t want to use the word “far away”.
Your basic premise is wrong. Those words CAN be used for things that are near you.

Being able to see something without being able to touch it DOESN'T mean it's not near you. "Near" is very subjective and depends on context.

Soleil

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Your basic premise is wrong. Those words CAN be used for things that are near you.

Being able to see something without being able to touch it DOESN'T mean it's not near you. "Near" is very subjective and depends on context.
I'm comparing the words "this/these and here" with the words "that/those and there".

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I'm saying you can't differentiate those words on the basis of whether they're in touching distance or not.

It depends on the situation and the context.

I can point at Mt. Everest from 5 kilometres away and say "That's Mt.Everest".

I could also point at it from a spacecraft, zooming in at it in close-up through my high-tec camera lens, and say to my colleague, "Look, this is Mt. Everest'.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I could also point at it from a spacecraft, zooming in at it in close-up through my high-tec camera lens, and say to my colleague, "Look, this is Mt. Everest'.
That is true.

However, as a general guide for learners, I think it's true to say that we usually associate this/these/here with proximiy (in space or time) and that/those/there with non-proximity.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Agreed. My posts were in answer to post #3 specifically.

Soleil

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I'm saying you can't differentiate those words on the basis of whether they're in touching distance or not.

It depends on the situation and the context.

Thank you for your explanation. I understand what you mean. From my point of view, we are speaking about the same. In your example you use “this” when you have zoomed your high-tec camera lens and you can see the mountain close to you and you even can touch it on the screen.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Yes. You've got it. That's why I said context plays a part.

Status
Not open for further replies.