Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello everyone,

I am editing a software which will be used for primary English education as an interactive whiteboard software. And in the help part of this software those things are written and the meanings/explanations of the buttons and symbols next to it. Is there anything should I change including title part ? I will be appreciate if you give me information about it. Cheers :)

photo_5904257023615286484_y.jpg

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
First of all, get rid of 'It' at the beginning of every label. You don't need grammatical sentences here, just labels, so remove the full stops too.

E.g.:

Starts the e-content

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As far as that goes, you could also drop most if not all of those definite articles. They're not wrong, but unnecessary in simple menu commands. You could also drop the 3rd person singular marker on the verbs. Again, it's not incorrect but simply uncessary. Think of them as imperatives versus declarative sentences.

For example, instead of:
It re-starts the e-content
It pauses the e-content
It turns on the full-screen mode

Just use:
re-start e-content
pause e-content
turn on full-screen mode

Also, change the word order for the volume commands. They should read:
turn volume up or down
turn on volume
turn off volume

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you are editing the instructions, not the software.

The question needs to be revised. Do you see the error?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, everyone. (There's no need for a greeting. Just go straight in with your post.)

I am editing revising a some software which that will be used for primary English education as an interactive whiteboard software. And In the help part of this software, those things are written and the meanings/explanations of the buttons and symbols next to it them. Is there anything should I should change, including the title? part ?

I will be would appreciate it if you would give me information your opinion. about it.

Cheers
. Don't thank us in advance. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any post you find useful.
Note my corrections and changes above. "Software" is uncountable so you can't use the indefinite article with it.
I don't know what the underlined part "those things" refers to.

pacificblueocean

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
As far as that goes, you could also drop most if not all of those definite articles. They're not wrong, but unnecessary in simple menu commands. You could also drop the 3rd person singular marker on the verbs. Again, it's not incorrect but simply uncessary. Think of them as imperatives versus declarative sentences.

For example, instead of:
It re-starts the e-content
It pauses the e-content
It turns on the full-screen mode

Just use:
re-start e-content
pause e-content
turn on full-screen mode

Also, change the word order for the volume commands. They should read:
turn volume up or down
turn on volume
turn off volume
I organized all of them and dropped all of those definite articles and 3rd person singular marker on the verbs for better menu commands. I am copying the new way of the menu below. Could you please check if there is any mistake on it ? And for the title instead of Introduction (organization chart) is there anything that I can write for the menu title? Thanks in advance :)

1.png
2.png

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You still use 'the' several times. I don't see a single case where it's necessary for a menu button title.

Why are you capitalizing 'e-Content' this time? Is it a stylized name like iPhone? If not, then just write 'e-content' like you originally did.

1. For the REVIEW button, I'd just write "Show answers and correct answers".
  2. For the SUBMIT button, I'd just write "save selection"
  3. For the front/back button (called a 'spin' button in interface terminology), you could just write "scroll through e-content pages".
  4. For the time button, I'd shorten it to "total time spent in e-content". Since it seems to automatically display the running time, there's no need to write 'show'. However, if you can't see the cumulative time until you press the button, the include 'show'.
  5. Drop 'after a pause" on the resume button.
As for the title, I'd probably just call it "Menu Options" or possibly "Key".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd use "Mute" instead of "Turn volume off" and "Unmute" instead of "Turn volume on". Apart from the fact that it's shorter, we don't turn volume on and off. We turn the sound on and off, and the volume up and down.

Similarly, use "Full screen" and "Exit full screen off" suffice.

I don't think you need to put "e-content" in any of them. Surely the user knows that's what they're using. Here's what I would label those buttons.

Column 1:
Start
Answers/correct answers
Total time spent
Save
Volume up/down
Number of pages
Page back/forward
Restart
Pause
Resume

Column 2:
Full screen
Exit full screen
Close pop-up
Play audio
Learning outcomes
Key to symbols etc
Mute
Unmute
Exit
Play video

Also, I'd reorder them to something more logical. "Exit" should be the last button. I'd put "Play video" next to "Play audio". I'd put "Mute" and "Unmute" next to "Volume up/down".

pacificblueocean

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you all for your informative editings. All are very helpfull to me. I changed the things what you said. I had never done that kind of job before because I did not know about it. Thanks to your cooperation, I have now learned it. I've only just begun and I have a long way to go and most probably sometimes will need your cooperation again. I appreciated , thanks :)

Lorrgood

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
England
I agree with what others have said about using just verb and noun (no article, the). The only change I would suggest is : turn volume up or down (i.e. word order)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

That you for all your helpful suggestions. I have made the revisions you suggested. Thank you for your help.

(I would not use "cooperation" there.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you all for your informative editings edits/advice. They are all are very helpfull helpful to me. I have changed the things what you said suggested. I had never done that kind of job before because I did not know about it. Thanks to your cooperation advice, I have now learned it. I've only just begun, and I have a long way to go and most probably sometimes will need your cooperation help again at some point. I appreciated appreciate it. Thanks.
Please note my corrections above. I don't understand the two underlined parts at all.