Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Should it be "No one is going to want to tone down"?

---------------------------
[FONT=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]Dr Anthony Fauci, the nation's leading expert on infectious diseases and a member of the White House's coronavirus task force, told the same press briefing: "No-one is going to want to tone down anything when you see what is going on in a place like New York City."

Source: from BBC 6 h ago
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52029546?at_campaign=64&at_medium=custom7&at_custo m3=%40BBCWorld&at_custom4=718D430C-6E43-11EA-B544-BA024844363C&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_custom2 =twitter

No-one is the preferred spelling in the BBC style guide. Other style guides may prefer no one. You may sometimes also see noöne.

No-one is the preferred spelling in the BBC style guide. Other style guides may prefer no one. You may sometimes also see noöne.

I have never seen noöne!

For years, I used to write "noone" (no space, no hyphen) - I must have picked up the habit at school. I now use "no one".

I wonder who in their right mind might think that's a good idea.
I suspected that the New Yorker, which preserves the diaeresis in words like role, naive, and cooperate, might also still use it in no one. But a quick search reveals that the magazine's own "Comma queen" (copy editor) wrote "no one" in her little memoir about working there.

I just remembered one place where I've seen it: my eighth-grade English textbook! The book included e.e. cumming's poem "anyone lived in a pretty how town", with anyone's love interest spelled as noöne. ​It's not spelled that way on the page I've linked to, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back