English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I can't understand the "underlined" passage in Little Dorrit by C. Dickens

The famous name of Merdle became, every day, more famous in the land. Nobody knew that the Merdle of such high renown had ever done any good to any one, alive or dead, or to any earthly thing; nobody knew that he had any capacity or utterance of any sort in him, which had ever thrown, for any creature, the feeblest farthing-candle ray of light on any path of duty or diversion, pain or pleasure, toil or rest, fact or fancy, among the multiplicity of paths in the labyrinth trodden by the sons of Adam; nobody had the smallest reason for supposing the clay of which this object of worship was made, to be other than the commonest clay, with as clogged a wick smouldering inside of it as ever kept an image of humanity from tumbling to pieces. All people knew (or thought they knew) that he had made himself immensely rich; and, for that reason alone, prostrated themselves before him, more degradedly and less excusably than the darkest savage creeps out of his hole in the ground to propitiate, in some log or reptile, the Deity of his benighted soul.

Please explain the passage...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dickens is using "clay" as a metaphor for the stuff that a person is made of. The passage could be rephrased as

… nobody believed that Merdle was fundamentally different from any ordinary person.​

I haven't addressed the part about the wick. It may mean something to some readers, but I can't see it as anything more than padding — extra words that sound eloquent but don't convey much real meaning.

Having spent some time in an Indian village before electricity reached it, I have a little experience of using oil lamps. A nice new wick gives the brightest light. With use the wicks gradually get clogged with carbon and their light dims.

In the Bible, Adam is molded from clay and then God breathes life into him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back