Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My non-native English speaking friends and I learn English from one another. We cannot afford the cost of English courses because we have to take care of a lot of expenses.

We really appreciate the help from English forum members. The forum helps us save a lot of money.

We borrowed a library book about writing concluding sentences. We came up with two sentences which we thought were better than others. I have written two exercises and our answers below.

Exercise One

There are many reasons why I am against wearing my school uniform. For one thing, I don't like the style of the uniform. The navy blazer and plaid skirt are too conservative for me. Secondly, the uniform isn't comfortable. I prefer to wear baggy pants and a sweater instead of a skirt and jacket. Finally, I want the freedom to express my individuality through my style of dressing.

(1a) Without a school uniform, I can wear any clothes I like.

(1b) I prefer my choice of fashion which gives me comfort and highlights my special qualities.

Exercise Two

Credit cards have a lot of advantages. First of all, credit cards are convenient because you don't have to carry a lot of cash around. You can buy the products and services you need even if you do not have cash in your pocket. In addition, credit cards are very helpful in emergencies. Finally, you can become a better money manager as your learn to use credit cards responsibly.

(2a) Credit cards provide convenience for my shopping needs.

(2b) Credit cards give me flexibility in money spending and eliminate my worries for cash.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to repeat that they are not homework exercises. My friends and I think we can save money by learning English from library books and English language forums.

We think these answers are the best among the ones we came up with. Between the two in each pair, do you think the
a's are better the b's? Some of my friends and I think the b's are better because they summarize the key ideas. However, others think the a's are better because they are shorter. Please give us your opinion. Thank you so much.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I prefer 1a) and 2b). 1a) seems a better conclusion, linked to the topic in hand. 2b) seems to follow on better from the previous sentence about managing money. You might want to check both b) sentences, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.