Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
A: Why do you this book to introduce?
B: I choose this book not only because it is interesting but also because some precious photos were discovered in the book.

Am I adding because correctly?

First. in A. I think you meant to include "choose" in the question. But B. is fine with "because" in both clauses.

Even if you added "choose" to A, it wouldn't be grammatical. Perhaps you meant "Why have you chosen this book to talk about?" or "Why did you choose this book to talk about?" I don't like the use of "introduce" in that question.

Even if you added "choose" to A, it wouldn't be grammatical. Perhaps you meant "Why have you chosen this book to talk about?" or "Why did you choose this book to talk about?" I don't like the use of "introduce" in that question.

I agree that it sounds awkward, and I don't like it either, but it's not ungrammatical.

Well, I suppose if the person chooses the same book to "introduce" regularly, then "do" would work but if the choosing has already happened, I still think the past tense or present perfect are appropriate.

Well, I suppose if the person chooses the same book to "introduce" regularly, then "do" would work but if the choosing has already happened, I still think the past tense or present perfect are appropriate.

What does present perfect indicate in this sentence?

It refers to my suggestion that you use "Why have you chosen this book ...?"

It refers to my suggestion that you use "Why have you chosen this book ...?"

I mean why do you use present perfect tense, isn't it happened in the past?

some precious photos were discovered

What exactly do you mean? Were the photos part of the book?

You can use either "Why did you choose this book ...?" or "Why have you chosen this book ...?" and the answers could start with "I chose ..." or "I have chosen ...". They both refer to the past.

You can use either "Why did you choose this book ...?" or "Why have you chosen this book ...?" and the answers could start with "I chose ..." or "I have chosen ...". They both refer to the past.

What's the difference?

What's the difference?
There's no difference for me.

There's no difference for me.

Does present perfect tense represent a period of time in the past and past tense represent a point of time in the past?
The most difficult tense to me is present prefect tense:cry:.
"Why have you chosen this book to talk about?" It seems like "you" spent a period of time to think of what book to choose. Am I correct?

Does present perfect tense represent a period of time in the past and past tense represent a point of time in the past?
The most difficult tense to me is present prefect tense:cry:.
"Why have you chosen this book to talk about?" It seems like "you" spent a period of time to think of what book to choose. Am I correct?

The present perfect would be used to show that the choice, although taken in the past, has a present relevance. The choice has a bearing on what is happening now. The person has just announced which book he/she chose to introduce.

If you want to understand why someone has used the present perfect, you should try to work out what present relevance there may be. Think about in what way the past action has an effect, or significance, or implication, or consequence on the present situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back