Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Which are correct:

1) You want to make sure that the dish is neither too spicy nor not-spicy-enough.

2) You want to make sure that the dish is neither too spicy nor too little spicy.

3) You want to make sure that the dish is not too spicy and that it is not not-spicy-enough.
4) You want to make sure that the dish is not too spicy and that it is not too little spicy.

5) The dish is little spicy for his taste. (It is not spicy enough for his taste.)

Gratefully,
Navi.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
None are correct. One word often used as an opposite for "spicy" is bland, though it doesn't really mean "not spicy".

Sentence 5 would be correct with an additional article. Can you see where it belongs and what kind it is?

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much, GoesStation,

I think I see what you mean. The sentence would become correct if an 'a' is added in front of 'little'.

5) The dish is a little spicy for his taste.

That sentence would be correct, but it would almost mean the opposite of : It is not spicy enough for his taste.

Gratefully,
Navi.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much, GoesStation,

I think I see what you mean. The sentence would become correct if an 'a' is added in front of 'little'.

5) The dish is a little spicy for his taste.

Correct.

That sentence would be correct, but it would almost mean the opposite of [no colon] "It is not spicy enough for his taste."

Correct again. Bravo!

Status
Not open for further replies.