[Grammar] Not want to or do not want to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
It is really irritating to such an extent that some people want not to allow refugees to enter their countries.

My friend sent me the above message. My question is, can I replace "do not want to allow" and "want to not allow" with "want not to allow."

1 want not to allow.

2 want to not allow.

3 Do want not to allow.( it is correct but I do not know if it fits well with the sentence above)

The sentence is rather garbled. Is your friend a native speaker?

Your friend may have meant The degree to which some people want to exclude refugees is really irritating.

The sentence is rather garbled. Is your friend a native speaker?

Your friend may have meant The degree to which some people want to exclude refugees is really irritating.

No.He isn't.

No, he isn't.

Note my correction above. You can write it as two separate sentences but, if you do, you must put a space after the full stop.

My question was about the three sentences below.

1 want not to allow.

2 want to not allow.

3 do not want to allow.

I will put them into sentences.

1 Some people want not to allow refugees to enter their countries.

2 Some people want to not allow refugees to enter their countries.

3 Some people do not want to allow refugees to enter their countries.

Last edited:
3 is the natural way. 2 works. 1 does not.

Edit: number 3 directly above, not in original post. If corrected to remove second "not."

Last edited:
None of them is natural to me. "Some people do not want to allow refugees to enter their countries."

None of them is natural to me. "Some people do not want to allow refugees to enter their countries."

Thank you.

You are right. I should have omitted the negative word "not". My aplogy.

When to use infinitive plus not for example

1 I want to not go.

2 I do not want to go.

Is number 1 grammatical and does it have the same meaning of number 2?

Thank you.

It is OK, but the second is the natural way to say it. Some might argue that the first has extra negative volition.

3. "I want not to go" is also a possibility.

I think it's worth pointing out that most English native speakers would never use the construction in 1 or 3. It's just not natural. It would probably be beyond most people's abilities to understand and explain the differences in these sentences. (That leaves quite a few who could explain them but never use them).
"I don't want to go" is natural. If you want extra negative volition, "I really don't want to go" or some other adverbial construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back