Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Could you please check this passage? Would it be wrong to omit "on" before 20 and when adding the name of the metro should the definite article be also capitalized?

"If you want to go to a meeting for new volunteers on 20 November, you must come to our office. Unfortunately, it's very far, but I will try to explain the way to you. First you have to come to the metro (name). Second, take a bus or a mini bus. Bus numbers 12, 25 34. Mini bus 23. It will take 20 minutes but on minibus ( I think it should be "by" not "on") it will take only 10 minutes. Further you will see a blue building. This building will be our office."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Could you please check this passage? Would it be wrong to omit "on" before 20?
Yes. Don't omit it.

and when adding the name of the metro station, should the definite article be also capitalized?
Typically, metro stations do not have "the" in them.

"If you want to go to a meeting for new volunteers on 20 November, you must come to our office. Unfortunately, it's very far, but I will try to explain the way to you. First, you have to [STRIKE]come[/STRIKE] go to Greenhill Metro Station. [STRIKE]the metro (name).[/STRIKE] Second, take a bus or a minibus-- bus numbers 12, 25 34, or minibus 23. It [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] takes 20 minutes by bus but [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] only 10 minutes by minibus. [STRIKE]( I think it should be "by" not "on") it will take only 10 minutes. Further[/STRIKE] You will see a blue building, and that [STRIKE]This building[/STRIKE] will be our office."

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Yes. Don't omit it.

Typically, metro stations do not have "the" in them.

Sorry, could you please explain this part: "Second, take a bus or a minibus-- bus numbers 12, 25 34, or minibus 23"? With double --

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
You will see a blue building, and that [STRIKE]This building[/STRIKE] will be our office."
Isn't it better to say '...You will see a blue building, and that's our office'?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I use "mins" here: "it takes 20 mins by bus."

It depends whether you're writing it or saying it. In writing, in informal communication, you can get away with "mins". We don't say it, though.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Can I use "mins" here: "it takes 20 mins by bus."

It depends whether you're writing it or saying it. In writing, in informal communication, you can get away with "mins". We don't say it, though.
OK. I didn't know native speakers don't say it.

Regarding this corrcted part below. Should I use -- in this sentence? Or is it a hyphen?

"Second, take a bus or a minibus-- bus numbers 12, 25 34, or minibus 23."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Make life simple and say:

"Second, take a 12, 25, or 34 bus or 23 minibus".

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Regarding this corrected part below. Should I use -- in this sentence? Or is it a hyphen?
No hyphens are involved here. You're confusing the em/en dash with the hyphen.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Make life simple and say:

"Second, take a 12, 25, or 34 bus or 23 minibus".

Regarding word order when talking about buses. So it's either "404 bus or 404 minibus" or minibus 404, bus 404". Right?
Not "bus number 404 or minibus number 404."

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No hyphens are involved here. You're confusing the em/en dash with the hyphen.

Which exactly did you use?a two-em dash? if it's used to indicate missing letters, sorry, but I don't understand why it should be used in my sentence.

"A two-em dash, ——, is used to indicate missing letters in a word and, less frequently, to indicate a missing word."

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I used two "-" characters to emulate an em dash, which can be used to provide extra details.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most keyboards don't have an em dash that's easily accessible. As a result, many people use two en dashes (hyphens) next to each other. I don't do that. I differentiate between a hyphen and a dash by using the correct spacing around it. A hyphen doesn't have a space before or after it. A dash has a space before it and after it.

You're very narrow-minded. (Hyphen)
I have a cat - I adore him. (Dash how I type it)
I have a cat -- I adore him. (Same dash but done how some other people do it.)

I've been told that there are key combinations that can create an em dash but I've never managed to make any of those combinations work on my MacBook.

Status
Not open for further replies.